Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to get rid of my dogs

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM
  • 37 Replies

Mobile Photo

I have about had it. My small dog ( dachshund/ beagle mix) keeps peeing on everything in my house the repeated items are my brand new couch, white curtains, and any bag/ box that comes into the house. I have washed the curtains 3 times thus month and the carpets 2x. The couches have been spot treated 2x and sprayed with dog marking deterrent .

Our big dog ( lab/ American bull dog) is eating diapers out of the trash, sneaking on to the counters and stealing food even though he is fed. Not to mention has started digging big holes in the yard.

I am not an animal person. My patience has run out. They are 4 shouldn't we be out of the being bad stage
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ticking.clock
by Kellie on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Awe. That makes me sad...have you tried talking to your vet about some possible training options to try before you get rid of them?
srm8824
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
They are really cute though!!!

Is your small dog fixed? You could always try to find alternative solutions for them. It's really hard to find a home for older dogs but if you do go that route maybe see if they could get into programs at your local humane society.
OliviaLouise29
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Neither are fixed. My husbands choice. He also doesn't want to pay for the vet. The big dog is his and the small one is mine/ the girls. I almost want to see what happens if we just get rid of one or the other. The small dog does really well with babies and toddlers. The big one doesn't have much patience for small kids. He would do really well in a single persons home where he got much more attention. Everyone has to share it here in the house including our kids....
JenG20
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh man! I could not handle that!!
Kaybean
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:40 PM
4 moms liked this
Not to sound rude, but when you take on the responsibility of a pet, you owe it to them to do what it takes. The problems you're having can be fixed. If you get rid of them, the problems will still be there and they will probably just get rehomed over and over. Them not being fixed is a huge reason for why they will pee in the house.
ck8204
by Candie on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Some dogs outgrow the getting into thing stage, while others can revisit it their whole lives. I have a 4 yr old pitt/lab that used to eat EVERY THING. Including the walls, doors, and base boards. He's finally calmed down and has become a wonderful dog. But my 7 yr old pitt/boxer has anxiety and will still get onto the counters to eat what ever she can find when she's anxious, and will still eat socks and chew holes in all of her blankets and throw up the pieces in the kids' room.

I wish I had tips and tricks to help you out, but the only thing that I have found that semi-works for me is putting a baby gate up so the dogs can't get into the kitchen. Good luck hon. They're beautiful dogs.
Jaybay223
by Jess on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts exactly!

Quoting Kaybean: Not to sound rude, but when you take on the responsibility of a pet, you owe it to them to do what it takes. The problems you're having can be fixed. If you get rid of them, the problems will still be there and they will probably just get rehomed over and over. Them not being fixed is a huge reason for why they will pee in the house.
srm8824
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Maybe you could rehome the large dog and talk your husband into getting the small one fixed. Maybe it would help with the behavior.

Quoting OliviaLouise29: Neither are fixed. My husbands choice. He also doesn't want to pay for the vet. The big dog is his and the small one is mine/ the girls. I almost want to see what happens if we just get rid of one or the other. The small dog does really well with babies and toddlers. The big one doesn't have much patience for small kids. He would do really well in a single persons home where he got much more attention. Everyone has to share it here in the house including our kids....
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

All of these issues can be fixed, the first thing is get both males fixed. Part of the peeing is them marking their territory, you have two unfixed males... that is gonna happen. Get them fixed - especially if you want to try and make it work.

Second - baby gates, if you are also wanting to do it *faster* you can use an eletronic shock collar on low settings and if he jumps onto the counter, zap him every time he does it. He'll learn pretty quick not to do that. I only recommend that as a last resort, but i'd rather see an owner do that then rehome something that can be fixed.

As to holes in the yard, my dogs dig holes in the yard because they get hot, you need to offer shade, pools of water, and more important, *toys* to entertain him, bulldogs are notorious for needing higher level of activities. And so are labs... so you got too high energry working dogs in one dog, and they need a job.

Big balls can be purchased off amazon.com for 15-20 bucks each that are pretty much indestructable. I bought some from my mastiffs and even my mastiff who doesn't "play" will carry the balls around and push them with her nose. For higher energy dogs, they are a life saver. You can also get old tires and put them on ropes on trees (or depending on the size of the tire, just chuck out in the back yard for the dog to carry around.)

My bulldog ate a bbq, he would sit and pull apples off the apple tree to entertain himself, I caught him once dragging a wheel barrow across our yard... upside down by the wheel.... And he was the greatest dog ever... wonderful family dog, great with kids, perfect inside the house, but when he was outside, he was wild and entertained himself.

Find ways to give the dog an outlet for that energy, if you don't want him digging, brush him 2-3x a week and keep him inside... use baby gates to teach boundaries... get garbage cans with lids that can't be pushed open.

My dogs are super well behaved, but a diaper in an open container is pretty tempting, even for a super well behaved dog.

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

See... they need toys. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)