• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a question..formula

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

how are bottles prepared these days?! Do you still heat them up? or do you use room temp bottled water?! I'm really wanting to breastfeed..but if I'm not successful I really don't know how to do the bottles these days..It has been 8 years lol.

baby development

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spidermonkey090
by Sarah on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I've seen mom's make them with warm and room temp water
ninjanessa
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I'm sure I'll get a refresher course in the hospital lol but it would be nice to have some water on hand when we get home =) thanks

Janis_1975
by Janis on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

room temp water with powdered formula was the faster,easiest way I did it with my babies I ff. 

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I warmed it when my milk dried up. I pump and the FENUGREEK helped to keep my supply up. Worked so well I was calling local hospitals to see if they took donated milk. I found Target's Up brand more cost effective and same exact ingredients and percentage of ingredients as name brand formula such as Enfamil!
Briyawna
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM
When I do formula bottles I do room temp if the weather it hot and warm water if its cold out
ele2837
by Erika on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:17 AM
When my daughter switched to formula I used room temperature water. I kept a few gallon jugs in the house.
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM
If you follow the WHO and CDC guidelines for proper formula preparation you are supposed to boil the water, pour that hot water over the powdered formula and then cool before serving. Using sterilized water or nursery water will not kill any bacteria present in the powder, that's why they recommend the water be boiling temp when it hits the powder. This is because there is no way to make the powder sterile. This is obviously more critical for preemies or babies with GI or immune system challenges.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Every can of formula I ever had said NOT to do that. The directions say to boil the water and then let it cool before adding the formula.  

Quoting mostlymaydays: If you follow the WHO and CDC guidelines for proper formula preparation you are supposed to boil the water, pour that hot water over the powdered formula and then cool before serving. Using sterilized water or nursery water will not kill any bacteria present in the powder, that's why they recommend the water be boiling temp when it hits the powder. This is because there is no way to make the powder sterile. This is obviously more critical for preemies or babies with GI or immune system challenges. http://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/

CafeMom Tickers
kslawmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
I won't be bfing at all so we bought 3 jugs and I plan on boiling water then letting it cool and putting it in the jugs and leaving them on the counter at room temperature. The first few weeks though we will the already mixed simalic to let his tummy adjust to it.
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
The cans I have right now (from registering at a store) say to ask your doctor but flat out warn that "powdered infant formulas are not sterile and should not be fed to premature infants or infants who might have immune problems." If I needed to use formula I'd use the premixed liquid.

Quoting Janis_1975:

Every can of formula I ever had said NOT to do that. The directions say to boil the water and then let it cool before adding the formula.  

Quoting mostlymaydays: If you follow the WHO and CDC guidelines for proper formula preparation you are supposed to boil the water, pour that hot water over the powdered formula and then cool before serving. Using sterilized water or nursery water will not kill any bacteria present in the powder, that's why they recommend the water be boiling temp when it hits the powder. This is because there is no way to make the powder sterile. This is obviously more critical for preemies or babies with GI or immune system challenges.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/cronobacter/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)