• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Totally NOT Baby 2014 related

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM
  • 21 Replies
My 4 yr old says he is going to be a chef. He watches the food network everyday and he helps me cook often. He shows real interest.

He had been given money by his granny and when we went to the store he went to the toys and picked out a kitchen set and play food items.(which I let him bought) My heart dropped, I guess because in our society we associate those things with girls. I didn't let him know how I felt.

I feel horrible, because I always said I would nurture whatever gifts my children carry. Did I fail? What's yalls opinions?

My mama and his dad says I overreacted, which I know I did.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamarazziTo2
by Kendra on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never associated "kitchen play" with only girls. The majority of famous chefs are male. I think it's great he's found something he really loves. My son and daughter are constantly playing with their kitchen and play food. I'm not a fan of "these toys are for girls and these are for boys", and it drives me nuts when people try to separate toys into gender specific categories. My 3yr old son loves to play dress up with my daughter and loves to have his nails painted and he also loves to play in the mud, catch frogs and ride his dirtbike. Sure people will have nasty things to say about that, but I could care less. If my son is happy, safe and having fun, then that's all that matters to me! :)

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you know most famous chefs are males?

My husband went to culinary arts school and was a chef for a while, he does the majority of cooking around here because my foods hit or miss on edibility. LOL

When my son was 4, pink was his favorite color, so he had pink clothes, a pink bathrobe, pink toys, a doll house, he's the most boy-ish boy now I know who's now obessed with legos and super heros.... but kids don't know they are supposed to only like gender specific things.

My daughter's a total princess girly girl who loves princesses and purple and pink and loves getting muddy, working with tools, painting and yard work, helping daddy with the car, etc.

I think if you just encourage them to be themselves they'll figure out who they are, and what they like with out negative sterotypes to hurt their self esteem.

AKmom11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM
I don't see kitchen play as girls only by any means!

My husband is a manly man but he also is the best cook! He's good at it and he enjoys it! He does probably 90% of the cooking in our house! Also I have many guy friends who went to school for and are now successful chefs. I actually don't have any girlfriends who are chefs.

You haven't failed by any means. You are just looking at it from a different point of view. All my nephews had kitchen sets as kids. Even before they has sisters. It's healthy imaginative play. It's part of raising a well rounded kid!
ck8204
by Candie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
So many of the food network shows star men. Bobby Flay, Guy Fierri, Bobby Dean, Alton Brown just to name a few. (And they're cute too!)

My son is 11 and loves to hep in the kitchen! He also knows how to sew amd loves to cross stitch.

My 2 year old daughter on the other hand.... She got a play kitchen and a ton of play food for her birthday back in November but a week after she got it she wanted nothing to do with it. She would rather play with her brother's old toy work bench.

It might be a phase. But think of it this way: If he learns to cook and do his own laundry and stuff like that then he will be self sufficient and a great catch when he grows up.
OliviaLouise29
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never had a problem with boys playing dolls. cleaning, house or playing kitchen. Those are skills they see mom and dad do. They have to learn to live. Being a chef is crazy hard and takes a really mentally and emotionally tough person to lead like that. i would go get him a set that he can "cut" the food...great for his fine moror skills :) I have a friend who "taught"  at a Sudbury School in New York. Absolutely amazin model of learning 100% led by the child. It is crazy how one simple whim to bake cookies or make a sandwich can contain several practical lessons as well as geometry, fractions etc. It is almost an unschooling lesson using the childs interest and evertyday life. Let him enjoy. I would personally be way more upset if my son insisted on wearing lipstick or a dress everyday or if my girls insited on dressing masculinely or if they demanded to be called a boys name. What they play with is just how they figure out the world.

ck8204
by Candie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
P.S. I can't cook for beans. My husband is the cook in our family and he is amazing at it! He can also sew, has made curtains and quilts, and also works on our cars, does wood working, and is an awesome handy man. I love how well rounded he is and we're hoping to raise our kids to be the same way.
QJSMOM09
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Quoting kajira:

Did you know most famous chefs are males?

My husband went to culinary arts school and was a chef for a while, he does the majority of cooking around here because my foods hit or miss on edibility. LOL

When my son was 4, pink was his favorite color, so he had pink clothes, a pink bathrobe, pink toys, a doll house, he's the most boy-ish boy now I know who's now obessed with legos and super heros.... but kids don't know they are supposed to only like gender specific things.

My daughter's a total princess girly girl who loves princesses and purple and pink and loves getting muddy, working with tools, painting and yard work, helping daddy with the car, etc.

I think if you just encourage them to be themselves they'll figure out who they are, and what they like with out negative sterotypes to hurt their self esteem.

It's not becoming a chef that bothered me it was the kitchen set and I can't figure out why.
QJSMOM09
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I do feel better and I'm kicking myself for those outta no where feelings.
QJSMOM09
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Quoting OliviaLouise29:

I have never had a problem with boys playing dolls. cleaning, house or playing kitchen. Those are skills they see mom and dad do. They have to learn to live. Being a chef is crazy hard and takes a really mentally and emotionally tough person to lead like that. i would go get him a set that he can "cut" the food...great for his fine moror skills :) I have a friend who "taught"  at a Sudbury School in New York. Absolutely amazin model of learning 100% led by the child. It is crazy how one simple whim to bake cookies or make a sandwich can contain several practical lessons as well as geometry, fractions etc. It is almost an unschooling lesson using the childs interest and evertyday life. Let him enjoy. I would personally be way more upset if my son insisted on wearing lipstick or a dress everyday or if my girls insited on dressing masculinely or if they demanded to be called a boys name. What they play with is just how they figure out the world.

Thanks tons...I feel better. I don't know why I felt uneasy in the first place.
QJSMOM09
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Quoting AKmom11: I don't see kitchen play as girls only by any means!

My husband is a manly man but he also is the best cook! He's good at it and he enjoys it! He does probably 90% of the cooking in our house! Also I have many guy friends who went to school for and are now successful chefs. I actually don't have any girlfriends who are chefs.

You haven't failed by any means. You are just looking at it from a different point of view. All my nephews had kitchen sets as kids. Even before they has sisters. It's healthy imaginative play. It's part of raising a well rounded kid!

Thanks! I feel better and I'm going to continue to nurture him in whatever he wants to do!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)