Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guh, I feel so stupid.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 21 Replies

I'm sitting here giving examples to my son how to multiple multiple digit #'s and I had to resort to google to get a step by step instruction to do test examples on scratch paper with him because *I* forgot how to do it. O.o

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenG20
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Haha! I am not sure if I remember that either. Isn't that what calculators are for?!
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

awwww don't feel stupid, I have had to have my 16 year old help me with my 2nd graders math homework ever since they started that stupid common core.  Common cord math is the most ridiculous thing ever!!

I am currently in high school to get my diploma so I can home school my youngest kids, so they will not be stuck doing the common core bull crap.

CafeMom Tickers
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM

haha, I told my son once he could do it manually, i'd let himn use a calculator.

Quoting JenG20: Haha! I am not sure if I remember that either. Isn't that what calculators are for?!

JenG20
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Probably best! Lol

Quoting kajira:

haha, I told my son once he could do it manually, i'd let himn use a calculator.

Quoting JenG20: Haha! I am not sure if I remember that either. Isn't that what calculators are for?!

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I use spectrum work books, and we get extra practice books on any area that he shows difficulty, he hates school work but I refuse to to let him whine his way out of work. LOL

my 3 year old has big preschool books for tracing letters, shapes, colors, and pre-reading stuff I only work with her out of it about 15 minutes a day, but she's learning to write all the alphabet and seems to be doing okay with it at 15 minutes a day.

I hate how they teach math these days. I'd rather just teach them how to get the right answer and move on. There's no reason they all hae to learn it the same way either. I've had to sit on google to find unique ways to teach my son stuff until he "grasped" it and I know public school wouldn't be able to do that.

I got my GED and then went to college. I'm not super good at common education setups myself, and I think a lot of us fall through the cracks, despite how smart we may actually be, but put us in a traditional testing environment and it doesn't work very well.

I never went to school growing up really (special ed, then did a single year in high school) I studied my GED test for a week, aced the tests and did fine in college. O.o

But, I looked like a total moron all through grade school.

Quoting Janis_1975:

awwww don't feel stupid, I have had to have my 16 year old help me with my 2nd graders math homework ever since they started that stupid common core.  Common cord math is the most ridiculous thing ever!!

I am currently in high school to get my diploma so I can home school my youngest kids, so they will not be stuck doing the common core bull crap.

srm8824
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

haha don't feel stupid. 

If you don't use it then you lose it when it comes to math. That should show you how much most of us DO NOT use it. 

Briyawna
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:02 PM
No worries lol..
Janis_1975
by Janis on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I was dumb and quit in Nov of my Senior year.  So I have almost all my credits. I just need to take around 6 more test and do a written report and I get my real diploma at 38 years old, yeah should have just did it 20 years ago, but never thought I would need it, but in Pa to do real home schooling you need a diploma or GED and well since I am so close to a diploma I should just get that, kwim

I have done the cyber schooling with my kids but that was still common core adn terrible, frustrating. So I want to do real home schooling.  I do have my preschooling all set up for this year.  She will be 4 in October so she can get in like 2 years of preschool before starting K since she has to be 5 by Sept to go to Kindergarten, she is at the cut off, So she will be almost 6 when she start Kindergarten (unless I start her early at home since she will be home schooled), the baby will be what 1 or 2 years old when I am doing K with Lily, so it works out pretty good.

As for my daughter in elementary right now (starting 2nd this year) I would love to homeschool her also, but might have to wait until 3rd grade next year to get everything ready, we will see.  If I work hard I coul dget my high schooling down this week, and maybe pull her out of public school before Sept, but having a newborn and her to teach might be too much for me, since she is hard headed, lol.  

Quoting kajira:

I use spectrum work books, and we get extra practice books on any area that he shows difficulty, he hates school work but I refuse to to let him whine his way out of work. LOL

my 3 year old has big preschool books for tracing letters, shapes, colors, and pre-reading stuff I only work with her out of it about 15 minutes a day, but she's learning to write all the alphabet and seems to be doing okay with it at 15 minutes a day.

I hate how they teach math these days. I'd rather just teach them how to get the right answer and move on. There's no reason they all hae to learn it the same way either. I've had to sit on google to find unique ways to teach my son stuff until he "grasped" it and I know public school wouldn't be able to do that.

I got my GED and then went to college. I'm not super good at common education setups myself, and I think a lot of us fall through the cracks, despite how smart we may actually be, but put us in a traditional testing environment and it doesn't work very well.

I never went to school growing up really (special ed, then did a single year in high school) I studied my GED test for a week, aced the tests and did fine in college. O.o

Quoting Janis_1975:

CafeMom Tickers
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Makes sense. I got credits for 1 year in high school, I went straight to 10th grade, but even though I could do 10th grade work, I was a year short of credits to graduate. I would have to make it up at 19 and I felt so far behind at that point, I didn't see why if I could just get my GED at 16 or 18 and go to college.

Quoting Janis_1975:

I was dumb and quit in Nov of my Senior year.  So I have almost all my credits. I just need to take around 6 more test and do a written report and I get my real diploma at 38 years old, yeah should have just did it 20 years ago, but never thought I would need it, but in Pa to do real home schooling you need a diploma or GED and well since I am so close to a diploma I should just get that, kwim

I have done the cyber schooling with my kids but that was still common core adn terrible, frustrating. So I want to do real home schooling.  I do have my preschooling all set up for this year.  She will be 4 in October so she can get in like 2 years of preschool before starting K since she has to be 5 by Sept to go to Kindergarten, she is at the cut off, So she will be almost 6 when she start Kindergarten (unless I start her early at home since she will be home schooled), the baby will be what 1 or 2 years old when I am doing K with Lily, so it works out pretty good.

As for my daughter in elementary right now (starting 2nd this year) I would love to homeschool her also, but might have to wait until 3rd grade next year to get everything ready, we will see.  If I work hard I coul dget my high schooling down this week, and maybe pull her out of public school before Sept, but having a newborn and her to teach might be too much for me, since she is hard headed, lol.  

Quoting kajira:

Quoting Janis_1975:

ck8204
by Candie on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Don't feel bad. When I was in HS I took Trigonometry and Calculus for fun. I had all the math credits I needed but took the classes for my own enjoyment. But last school year my 5th grader started needing a lot of help with math. I had to google refreshers so I could help him. The way I learned how to do things isn't the way it's being taught any more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)