Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby name help??

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hey everyone,
So my husband and I have a few baby names picked out. We really like Emmit. The other names one of us is not sure about. Saturday we are going to met my brothers new girlfriend and her son who's name is Emmett. They have been dating for about 6 months. How weird would it be if they got married and we had two Emmit's with diffent spellings? Do I not name my kid this name because of it. Oh and we found out yesterday this was her sons name.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:18 AM

If you had chosen this name before meeting him, I wouldn't change it, how do you know if your brother and her will still be together in a few months? 6 months isn't very long, especially if he's just now introducing you enough to her to learn her son's name.

Paigesmommy78
by Gale on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with Emma
CutieCrab
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It is just a name.  You can name your son whatever you want. :-)   

BucketsofloveX2
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Very true. The only reason I worry is because my brother is very private and for him to bring a girl around is a big deal. He is also 35 years old so a short engagement would not be out of the question in our family. I'm so confused.

Quoting kajira:

If you had chosen this name before meeting him, I wouldn't change it, how do you know if your brother and her will still be together in a few months? 6 months isn't very long, especially if he's just now introducing you enough to her to learn her son's name.

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I would name your kid what you want, if he or they say anything, just say this was the name you picked out before you met her and it you'll name your kid the name you chose regardless of who you "meet" later down the road.

Quoting BucketsofloveX2: Very true. The only reason I worry is because my brother is very private and for him to bring a girl around is a big deal. He is also 35 years old so a short engagement would not be out of the question in our family. I'm so confused.
Quoting kajira:

srm8824
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I would still use the name. 

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Eh I would name the baby whatever you want!
nrsmama4
by Jamie on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd stick with plan A ;)
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
When you meet her tell her you love her son's name because Ironically it's the same name you picked out for your son 5 months ago. Unless your brother in law does marry her and adopt her son, that Emmett will have a different last name.
MichelleBelle37
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

This is tough. If one of my friends or family members suddenly named their baby what I had picked out, or already had a child with this name, I would have a hard time using the name. I like to be unique. I'm hoping no one on this board uses the name I have picked out even. Ha! But that's not important to everyone. It just is to me....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)