Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ebf question ???

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is almost 2 weeks old a ebf. He is doing very we'll but the last couple days I noticed he's been spitting up a lot. Like I barley got him up I burp and t came out his nose and everything. Is there something I can't do to help smooth his tummy I'm afraid he is either getting to much an that y he I spitting up or he is throwing it all up and not getting enough to stay down.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cortney.mae
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I would just count diapers and make sure he's making enough diapers for you :) I can't remember exactly how many. Maybe google it? The amount he's taking is more now than it has been and maybe he's just getting a tad excited and taking a bit too much. Harrison spits up only when I have a redbull or when I have root beer, so I cut those out for the most part. Oh, and orange juice. Orange juice makes him spit up more than anything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Sounds like he's suffering a bit from your oversupply and overactive letdown. Is he particularly bothered by the tummy and spit up issues? Some babies are happy spitter-uppers and it's just a laundry issue. Others are miserable until mom manages the problem. You can also try nursing in positions were the babu is over the breast instead of under.
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

veraxaudeo
by Ashley Nicole on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

If he's still having at least 6-8 wet/dirty diapers per day and his tummy doesn't seem upset (or he can lie on his back without crying in what appears to be pain), then I wouldn't worry about it.

My son is three weeks old today and spits up a lot. But he has at least 8 wet/dirty diapers throughout the day and the farther I get from the last time I ate dairy, the less his tummy appears to be upset. So I'm just keeping an eye on his behavior and if it worsens, then I'll mention it at his one month visit on the 21st.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:05 PM

IF you are worried about over-active let down, you could try block feeding him for 4 hour chunks, just keep him on one side for 4 hours then switch sides for the next 4 hours.  I would also consider laying flat on your back with him on top of you, or in a reclining position where he's on top.... colic is really common in the first 6 weeks of life from milk supply issues while your body regulates to his needs.

noey31308
by Noelle on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM
He isn't crying a lot or anything he jus spits up a lot. I didn't get to breast feed my other two so I'm new to it and wanted to make sure it's normal

Quoting kajira:

IF you are worried about over-active let down, you could try block feeding him for 4 hour chunks, just keep him on one side for 4 hours then switch sides for the next 4 hours.  I would also consider laying flat on your back with him on top of you, or in a reclining position where he's on top.... colic is really common in the first 6 weeks of life from milk supply issues while your body regulates to his needs.

kajira
by Emma on Aug. 12, 2014 at 8:22 AM

spitting up a lot can indicate he's getting too much milk... babies who don't over-eat generally won't spit up unless they have reflux.

My guess is you have a really active over-let down and lots of milk. :P 

Quoting noey31308: He isn't crying a lot or anything he jus spits up a lot. I didn't get to breast feed my other two so I'm new to it and wanted to make sure it's normal
Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)