Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When labor started...

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:23 AM
  • 21 Replies
Was it subtle and start gradually over several hours or was it sudden and hard labor immediately?? And if you've had more than one baby was it similar for each? Just wondering because even though this is number three I only went into labor once. It was very out of the blue and sudden and straight to hard labor. Also very quick at only 4 hours. So I am so nervous because I don't know what subtle signs to look for. Just the sudden intense pains.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM

With my first, I was induced with pitocin and that was what I was waiting for labor to feel like.

I wasn't 100% sure I was in labor until my water broke with my daughter, the part that "hurt" was her head in my vagina, I never actually felt contractions - my braxton hick contractions where worse then real labor was.

With my twins, my only clue that I was 100% in labor was pressure, and a single drop of brown blood streaked into the mucus that came out when I peed. That's the ONLY reason I went into the hospital and I was already 10cm dilated with a bulging water bag and my babies trying to fall out.  And I only went in because of how premature they were to make sure I wasn't dilating... and apparently, I had waited too long.

It's going to be different for every woman.

JenG20
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM
That's crazy! And nerve wracking! With my oldest I just knew because I woke up after going to sleep an hour before feeling completely fine and normal and started having intense painful contraction right from the get go. They were 20 minutes apart and when we left for the hospital less than an hour later they had already progressed to 2 minutes apart.

Quoting kajira:

With my first, I was induced with pitocin and that was what I was waiting for labor to feel like.

I wasn't 100% sure I was in labor until my water broke with my daughter, the part that "hurt" was her head in my vagina, I never actually felt contractions - my braxton hick contractions where worse then real labor was.

With my twins, my only clue that I was 100% in labor was pressure, and a single drop of brown blood streaked into the mucus that came out when I peed. That's the ONLY reason I went into the hospital and I was already 10cm dilated with a bulging water bag and my babies trying to fall out.  And I only went in because of how premature they were to make sure I wasn't dilating... and apparently, I had waited too long.

QJSMOM09
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Like Emma said every woman is different and I will like to add sometimes every pregnancy and labor maybe different.

My 1st was induced at 39wks.Contractions were horrible. I was in labor for 8 1/2 hrs.

2nd- At 38wks my water broke around 7:30am.We went straight to l&d. Labored for 4 more hrs...no hard labor.My labor was very rapid.
kajira
by Emma on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I'm one of those rare women who have to look for other signs then contractions to figure out if i'm in labor or not.

The text books are generic guidelines that the average woman will feel when she goes into labor and how it progresses.

When they had me hooked up to a monitor with my twins before the c-section, they couldn't pick up contractions at all, but *I* could feel the pressure coming and going at that point and could identify it for what it was.

For some reason, my body just doesn't work like they predict it will.

Quoting JenG20: That's crazy! And nerve wracking! With my oldest I just knew because I woke up after going to sleep an hour before feeling completely fine and normal and started having intense painful contraction right from the get go. They were 20 minutes apart and when we left for the hospital less than an hour later they had already progressed to 2 minutes apart.
Quoting kajira:

Gmm73
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry I'm a bad example... First I was induced at 42.5, I was in labour for 12hrs, I remember that pain, but she ended up an emergency csection.
This one my dr won't let that happen again so I'm being csectioned next Tuesday at 38.4. I doubt I'll be seeing labour this time...
I suppose I could say that with both my pregnancies I didn't start on my own and I'm pretty sure this one would go past 40wks as well, but I'll never know lol.
Every pregnancy is different....my mother had 5 and she said all were different...
If you feel out of sorts, go with your gut. We haven't got much room time-wise for error now!
JenG20
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Thank goodness you are so attuned to your body! I am hoping that I will be able to pick up some kind of subtle signs

Quoting kajira:

I'm one of those rare women who have to look for other signs then contractions to figure out if i'm in labor or not.

The text books are generic guidelines that the average woman will feel when she goes into labor and how it progresses.

When they had me hooked up to a monitor with my twins before the c-section, they couldn't pick up contractions at all, but *I* could feel the pressure coming and going at that point and could identify it for what it was.

For some reason, my body just doesn't work like they predict it will.

Quoting JenG20: That's crazy! And nerve wracking! With my oldest I just knew because I woke up after going to sleep an hour before feeling completely fine and normal and started having intense painful contraction right from the get go. They were 20 minutes apart and when we left for the hospital less than an hour later they had already progressed to 2 minutes apart.

Quoting kajira:

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Girl we are in the same boat! I don't even know his to time a contraction or when it's definitely a contraction! I think I'm going to wait until my water breaks.
JenG20
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Shoot I never even knew my water broke with my first! I just woke up in intense labor and when I got to the hospital was a 7 and membranes were already ruptured!!

Quoting MixedCooke: Girl we are in the same boat! I don't even know his to time a contraction or when it's definitely a contraction! I think I'm going to wait until my water breaks.
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Me either because it was just a trickle so I thought it was just incontinence!

Quoting JenG20: Shoot I never even knew my water broke with my first! I just woke up in intense labor and when I got to the hospital was a 7 and membranes were already ruptured!!

Quoting MixedCooke: Girl we are in the same boat! I don't even know his to time a contraction or when it's definitely a contraction! I think I'm going to wait until my water breaks.
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM
I'm confused too and this is #5! I had my 40w appt today and I changed from a 2 to 4 and they VERY vigorously stripped my membranes and think that should do the trick. I wished my water just broke on its own because I can't catch a clue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)