Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wyatt's first day breastfeeding 4x.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM
  • 8 Replies
2 moms liked this

First feed at noon : He didn't latch, he as going between falling asleep and then trying to poop. They also ended his feeds about 40 minutes before my attempt after his feeds went over a large quantity over 2 hours, so he wasn't quite hungry yet either. It was okay, we tried, then let him have his bolus. Since he tolerated it so well, they went down to 1 1/2 hours.

Second feed, He latched and ate what I assume to be a decent amount.

third feed - he latched and seemed to eat fine. I was sort of asleep since it was midnight.

4th feed, I struggled to wake him up for 20 minutes or so, then kind of gave up because I don't want to stress him out, so I pumped while he laid in the crib unswaddled until he showed that he wasn't going to fall back asleep.  I then offered and he nursed for about 7 minutes... when she checked how much milk he got after pumping - he had gotten himself an ounce in 7 minutes.

It seems like he's pretty efficient at nursing when he chooses to eat.

We may need to swap around feeding times simply because sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes to rouse him enough to make him realize he's hungry, and 2 of the feedings hit right at shift change. I'm going to talk to them about that today after rounds and see if we can't find a better solution so we have a little more time.

2pm and 8pm and 2am and 8am might work better for him and the nurses, I'll just have to see if we can do that instead of 6 and noon.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!
Janis_1975
by Janis on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

so glad he is latching and nursing :)

Janis, Mommy of 7 :)

thurstensmom
by Beth on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Yay!
NicLof2
by Nicole on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM
I think that's great for y'all's 1st day! Hope they work with on different times.
Mommy2TwoBoys23
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:56 PM
That's awesome!!
Paigesmommy78
by Gale on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Yay
JenG20
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I hope switching up times helps!!
Gmm73
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM
That's great news!!
Must be a wonderful feeling :)
One step closer...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)