Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Head circumference question..

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM
  • 1 Replies
My bub was born with a head circumference of 13.8 inches (34cms) and at eight weeks is now 14.3 inches (36.5cm). Does this sound like normal growth?
Her head is now in the 9th percentile, no one seems concerned just saying that baby will probably be petite. She is gaining weight fine, we aren't sure about length as she's in a harness but seems perfectly happy and healthy for an 8 week old. My other two had heads measurements on the smaller scale but not this small.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Sep. 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Comparing and contrasting to other babies can make you crazy. I just looked at my dd's report from our 1 month appt and it says her head circumference was 15.25 in and 96%tile but my kids always had big heads. They'll be less than 25% for length and weight but above 90 for head. While you're worrying about small heads, I'm always worried the big heads are brain tumors. I just pulled her discharge papers and it says she was 35 cm at birth. I think consistent growth and maintaining the same curve is more important than exactly where they are on the chart. The fact that your other two had small heads should be of some reassurance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)