Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else need a glass of wine????

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this
I am ebf but I sure miss having the occasional glass of wine or rum and coke! Bryce will take a bottle of pumped breast milk but for some reason I feel guilty for doing that just so I can have a drink. Seems selfish I guess. Has anyone who is bf had a drink yet? I'm not an alcoholic or anything lol Just miss the occasional glass of wine with hubby.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NicLof2
by Nicole on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I have. I had a Woodchuck Apple ale Sunday while watching football. I nursed her then I had one. Then a couple hr later nursed her again. Rule of thumb is safe to drive safe to nurse. I don't do it often but do sometimes and it's only one.
ele2837
by Erika on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Saturday my husband and I went to concert and the girls stayed with my mom. Since Riley had to take a couple bottles anyways I had a Margarita and a few rum and cokes. I probably over did it a bit, but it was nice to let loose. I hadn't done that in a long time. I decided I'm going to allow myself the occasional small glass of wine after putting her down for the night to help relax. I feel like I need to start doing more for myself every now and then.
kajira
by Emma on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You can have a drink right after you nurse him, and it's safe to nurse again by the next feeding.

I wouldn't drink an entire bottle full of rum, but one drink doesn't pass enough through the breastmilk to harm him. Especially if you've got an hour or two between his feeding and your last drink.

thurstensmom
by Beth on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a hard cider or beer with dinner every once in a while if she's just nursed :)

mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
The alcohol in the wine becomes diluted in your digestive system, further diluted in your blood, even more diluted in your milk. Like in your tears, not much alcohol left by the time it gets metabolized that far. I'm one of those people who says never ever drinking alcohol while *pregnant* but I'm confident in the research that shows a drink (even 2) doesn't pass that much alcohol along, like a shot glass in a bathtub.
Bump2b
by Sarah on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to right after a feed and stick to one standard drink. I'm ff and had two glasses of wine on an empty stomach & am paying for it today!
cortney.mae
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have had wine or beer on multiple occasions since he's been born. Just a glass with dinner or while watching a movie. I drink it right after he eats, and by the time he's ready to eat again, I'm good :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aprils74
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM
y sister told me that after I drink I need to "pump and dump" it. Do y'all do that? Or is it so diluted that it isn't an issue? I'm talking maybe two glasses of wine. I haven't had a drink since last December! What happened in Mexico didnt stay in Mexico! Lol
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this
The alcohol metabolizes from your milk the same as your blood. Unless you also need a blood transfusion you don't need to pump and dump. You *can* pump if you're away from the baby for the night and you get engorged. But your breasts don't store alcohol. Safe to drive, safe to nurse. If you're feeling especially conservative you can wait 2 hours after a drink and it's gone.

Quoting Aprils74: y sister told me that after I drink I need to "pump and dump" it. Do y'all do that? Or is it so diluted that it isn't an issue? I'm talking maybe two glasses of wine. I haven't had a drink since last December! What happened in Mexico didnt stay in Mexico! Lol
mostlymaydays
by Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)