Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT And BIG NEWS

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM
  • 17 Replies

So went to Ot yesterday it went  so much better she fussed a bit but she would give he breaks and she did not shed tears or get really upset untill the very end when she showed me the exercises to do on her mouth. She wants me to start at maybe 3 times a day right now but work my way up to 5 . She also gave go ahead tot ry bottles we tried there but she had a medium flow nipple and kept chocking so I tried this morning with a DR. Brown bottle nipple whhich is softer at the 1 stage SHE  TOOK 20ml A HALF OUNCE. May not sound like a lot but she has been tube feed only for about 2 months now 20ml is fucking amasing and did it in less then 5 minutes where before it was taking her 15 minutes to even get that. Now I know its only one time but its a good start .

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM

That's GREAT! Sometimes finding what makes them "happy" also sets them up for success. If she likes the dr browns bottles, keep going with it! I'd offer her 1oz every time you have time to offer her a bottle with her feeds. You never know, practice could make perfect :P

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Also, remember, not every feeding will go the same, you'll have some good feedings, and some bad feedings.

Even wyatt will sometimes nurse perfect and the next feed, be grumpy and fight me at the breast a little bit because it's not going "Exactly" how he wants it.

ThisLife16309
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Yes I have to keep that in mind that next time she might fight it will not always be a good feed . I had only put 2 oz in but was not even expecting her to take any at all, I just can not get discouraged if it goes bad at times.

Quoting kajira:

Also, remember, not every feeding will go the same, you'll have some good feedings, and some bad feedings.

Even wyatt will sometimes nurse perfect and the next feed, be grumpy and fight me at the breast a little bit because it's not going "Exactly" how he wants it.

Ducks4Life
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Awesome

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

If you need encouragement, don't hestiate to talk about it with me, I know what you mean, when wyatt had to prove he could nurse to get out of the hospital, we had a few bad feedings (mostly were good, but some he'd fight me hard)

I had to work really hard to not feel discouraged, or feel like I was failing, I had to remember he was learning too, and I was learning to accomodate how HE needed to do it, so HE could be successful.

There were days where he wouldn't nurse unless it was a football style hold, then other days he had to be upright, he still isn't super fond of the cradle hold, but when he's tired and grumpy, he won't eat if i'm sitting down, I have to stand up and jiggle him while he eats. Lot of trial and error.

So remember, she's teaching YOU what SHE likes. Figure out what makes her happy, and you'll get alot further with it! A nd don't feel bad if  you can't always figure out what she wants. LOL

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Yes I have to keep that in mind that next time she might fight it will not always be a good feed . I had only put 2 oz in but was not even expecting her to take any at all, I just can not get discouraged if it goes bad at times.

Quoting kajira:

ThisLife16309
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Thanks. When she started to struggle and stop eating. I was stressed out I thought it was me i felt guilty because I oculd not get her to eat much and as a mo I should you know? I was scared that everyone was looking at me like I was the issue like I was doing it on puropse to her. Thank god people at the hospital tried nurses doctors so they saw it first hand but still did not no does it take away all the guilt. I know she may never take enough by mouth, And that saddens me to have to have this tube forever . People have done it and I will manage but still.  I have to keep telling myself its no ones fault . Its hard on her to as much as me , I just wish I could snap my fingers and us be at the point she is eating all by mouth .

Quoting kajira:

If you need encouragement, don't hestiate to talk about it with me, I know what you mean, when wyatt had to prove he could nurse to get out of the hospital, we had a few bad feedings (mostly were good, but some he'd fight me hard)

I had to work really hard to not feel discouraged, or feel like I was failing, I had to remember he was learning too, and I was learning to accomodate how HE needed to do it, so HE could be successful.

There were days where he wouldn't nurse unless it was a football style hold, then other days he had to be upright, he still isn't super fond of the cradle hold, but when he's tired and grumpy, he won't eat if i'm sitting down, I have to stand up and jiggle him while he eats. Lot of trial and error.

So remember, she's teaching YOU what SHE likes. Figure out what makes her happy, and you'll get alot further with it! A nd don't feel bad if  you can't always figure out what she wants. LOL

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Quoting kajira:

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Heck mine gives me trouble too! That's great that she took some from the bottle
kajira
by Emma on Dec. 31, 2014 at 10:45 AM

If she's a fully functional person, I figure by the time she's developmentally ready, she'll lose the tube.

Unless she has a physical disability with it later in life, she'll get there, have faith.

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Thanks. When she started to struggle and stop eating. I was stressed out I thought it was me i felt guilty because I oculd not get her to eat much and as a mo I should you know? I was scared that everyone was looking at me like I was the issue like I was doing it on puropse to her. Thank god people at the hospital tried nurses doctors so they saw it first hand but still did not no does it take away all the guilt. I know she may never take enough by mouth, And that saddens me to have to have this tube forever . People have done it and I will manage but still.  I have to keep telling myself its no ones fault . Its hard on her to as much as me , I just wish I could snap my fingers and us be at the point she is eating all by mouth .

Quoting kajira:

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Quoting kajira:

ThisLife16309
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:34 AM

SO far she is on time with most things a tad delayed in some areas but nothing major and she seems to be ctaching up she just started grabbing her toes today. faith is hard for me lol given a lot of reasons but I try. I just keep moving foward even if it looks bleak its how i survied a lot that should have destoryed me . I know she will be ok even if she does not lose the tube

Quoting kajira:

If she's a fully functional person, I figure by the time she's developmentally ready, she'll lose the tube.

Unless she has a physical disability with it later in life, she'll get there, have faith.

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Quoting kajira:

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Quoting kajira:

kajira
by Emma on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Wyatt doesn't grab his feet/toes unless I encourage him to do it. He's not big on his feet being touched, but I can get him to grab them and hold on to it, but he doesn't on his own... he will if I tell him too and encourage him to touch it, so your not the only one who's baby's not big on trouching feet.

Wyatt is delayed in some areas, and advanced in others - it's kind of odd. his coordination is better then a typical baby because he's had 4+ months to work on it in some ways, including his ability to track objects and his social skills.

But, physically? He's not capable of sitting up on his own yet, he needs to work on those muscles, his hamstrings and shoulders are kind of tight from being in a bed for months and months with out being stretched out or touched.

I take him into our bathtub to work on flexing some of those muscles in water... I also do baby massages (which are hit or miss if he likes them, his muscles seem sensitive) 

I know it can seem bleak sometimes, but every milestone she hits, is just one more piece of evidence that she'll get there eventually... even if it's on her tme frame and her terms instead of everyone else's or a check list.

Quoting ThisLife16309:

SO far she is on time with most things a tad delayed in some areas but nothing major and she seems to be ctaching up she just started grabbing her toes today. faith is hard for me lol given a lot of reasons but I try. I just keep moving foward even if it looks bleak its how i survied a lot that should have destoryed me . I know she will be ok even if she does not lose the tube

Quoting kajira:

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Quoting kajira:

Quoting ThisLife16309:

Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)