Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Zoey was born on tuesday.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

Long story short : apparently, I went into early labor on mondayish. Woke up at 2am having contractions that were constricting me... couldn't sleep through them. Had to get up for a couple hours and sit on a yoga ball. Went to the local OB, asked him to strip my membranes, he said no, but he'd do it monday the following week. I said okay, went home and was kind of restless and packing all my bags and getting everything ready for tuesday.

My midwife 3 hours away had said she'd strip my membranes for me on tuesday when I came up, so we were planning on getting a hotel. When we left tuesday to make the drive up there, I drove up there, and was having contractions that were making me pretty bitchy, about every 2 songs on the radio, give or take. Apparently, I was in early labor, but didn't realize it. When I got there, she figured I was in early labor, and assumed I'd probably have my baby, but didn't tell me that just in case (at the time anyways) she stripped my membranes, and sent me on my way.

We went out to dinner, i ate a lot of food... and my contractions spaced out after the membrane sweep. (It apparently was making them more effective.) So the problem I had, is my water bag was bulging out of my cervix, apparently, the pressure of the water bag and the angle of it, turned my labor into back labor, because the baby was positioned correctly... but the bag wasn't. 

So, because my water never broke, I ended up having this most horrendeous back labor I've ever experienced in my life and couldn't tell what my body was doing.

My doula came over around 915-11pm and we did some labor tincture herbs every 15 minutes, and accupressure points and walking. My contractions were irregular, untimable and I was fine walking and talking. So she went home at 11... 30 minutes later, I had to "walk" it was like this obsession. I had to walk the halls, I had to stop and press my back against the wall and squat during the pain when it was peak (but they were irregular and not more then 45 seconds long, so the hospital would have said not active enough.) 

by 1230 - I was freaking out because nothing i did would make them stop and I was convincing myself i wasn't in labor. That it was all in my head and I was just sore and hurting because of walking so much... so I tried the shower, the yoga ball, and then started to cry. I tried to wake up my husband and he was so dead asleep all he did was wake up long enough to pat me on the back, tell me I was doing fine (or great?) and then wake him up when I felt the urge to push and started snoring again.

I decided to text my doulas. Neither responded right away, so I called my grandma in a panic and started talking to her about how I was feeling and how I couldn't time the pains or figure out what was going on. She talked to me for about an hour, and told me that when I was stopping to put my back on the wall, it was *really* frequently, and despite the pains not being very long - she had labors where she couldn't time her contractions either and they werent' "long" enough either so she figured I was in active labor and I needed to call my doulas back and find a way to get them there if my husband wouldn't wake up.

I told her okay, I'd call them and got off the phone with her. (this was around 130ish) I finally got ahold of my doula a few minutes later, and we talked for about 30-45 minutes, and i told her (out of 2, one of them had kids, and I didn't want her to not sleep with kids, so I told her ot send the other doula over, so she could get some sleep first since I wasn't even sure I was in labor.)

She was sure I was in labor, but no one but my grandma would actually *say* that to me. haha!

So I decided to take a nap on the couch while I waited for the other doula to get there, around 245am - I slept from about 2ish to 245 on the couch. I figured, hey, even with this back labor, if i can lay down and catnap, then it's obviously not doing what it's supposed to be doing... so again, I talked myself out of believing I was in labor because I slept through back labor. (yeah, right. i know I can sleep through labors, but i was loopy at that point and not thinking rationally. had my husband actually woke his ass up, he would have realized I was on my way to transition.)

The doula got there. we walked the halls for hours (my body is so sore from walking for 6+ hours straight that I can't move now and my thighs burn. LOL)  we went up and down stairs, up and down hall ways and around the outside of the hotel.

by about 545, I stopped and wanted to get into water. The hot tub of the pool seemed like the best place I could go with the jets... and I really wanted I asked the manager if he'd let me use the hot tub, I was in early labor, my water was intact and I didnt' want to run to the hospital yet. (i was slowly accepting that I was in labor at this point.)

he said he'd make a special exception for me, and went to get the key, excited, I went upstairs to get some clothes on that were suitable for a hot tub. We got up there, I put on my sports bra, and suddenly realized I wasn't going to make it back downstairs. I told my doula to call the other doula, my husband had woken up at this point and was watching me get into the shower and joined me to help push on my back. 

I was in the shower for like 20 minutes or so, when I got out and collapsed on the bathroom floor and started wishing someone would shoot me. I hurt so bad I felt like my insides were ripping apart. (apparently, my body had hit transition, wanted me to push, but I couldn't feel the urge to push with the back labor, so I was fighting my body.)

A few minutes later, my other doula got there (just after 6am.) I was able to get up, and my pain's spaced out a little more, so I kept thinking maybe it would all stop... and wishing it would. hah

I piled pillows on the couch on my blanket, and tried to lean back on them, but with the back labor that intensified the pain so much I like slid off the couch to the floor and felt like a moron for trying something that when I knew leaning back in a reclined position hadn't worked anywhere else.... I ended up on my hands and knees on the floor on my house blankts I'd brought with us, the towel and went between using my yoga ball, a cat/cow hands and knees position and holding onto the table.

According to my husband, I ended up in a semi squating position bending forward over the ball, with one hand and side over the ball, one hand and arm on the desk, and then was squating/kneeling on the floor... and they were telling me to stop fighting my body and just go with it if I felt the urge to push.

I was having trouble feeling things because of my back labor. Eventually I started pushing and I thought I was pushing for *hours* but it was about 15 minutes... 4 big pushes, and Z popped out, with her head/shoulders out... then my water broke.

I heard it gush everywhere like someone had turned a faucet on. My husband said that the water bag actually came out before she did, and that's probably why pushing hurt so bad. (i vaguely remember with my other daughter, the bag coming out before she did and my midwife breaking it, and it was a relief!!! except no one broke it this time, so I was pushing a damn balloon out with the baby and it FREAKING HURTTTTTT)

So.. it popped over the baby's head/shoulders came out, but because the balloon of water was bigger than the darn baby, it caused a lot of swelling and pain down there and I felt it stretch me in ways that my normal sized babies don't. LOL!!!

Once the water bag broke, Z came out in another push or two all the way, and I just felt this overwhelming relief of "oh my god it's over, the pain's stopped." and I stood, told my husband to hand me my baby. and then everyone was just standing there looking shocked. 

I was like "isn't someone going to call 911? I'm not walking to the car to go to the hospital." then they called 911 and got them there to pick us up. I was standing there naked, holding the baby, and we were still attached to the placenta/umbilical cord when like 12 strapping men walked in and all i could thinks "holy shit, someone cover me up or give me clothes or something.... i'm naked."

they thanked my husband for making their job easier by delivering the baby for them, got me on a gurney with a sterile plastic sheet (and covered us up with a second one.) and drove us the 3 miles to the hospital here the midwife delivered the placenta and checked on baby.

We were there for 24 hours... and are now home and doing great.

The midwife saw me before I went home and told me she thought I was in labor when I was there, and had even told the other midwives who were working that night to expect me that night or the next morning because of it. LOL

baby was 6lbs even, 18 inches long, and despite being born at 38 weeks on the dot, she had zero issues with anything, nursed, pooped and since we had different blood types, it did cross a little so she had to have her jaundice levels drawn and watched closely, (I have to get them drawn again) but I was making so much colostrum when the lactation specialist/pediatrician checked on her they weren't super worried unless they spiked super high. (which it didn't.) so we got to go home.

She's literally pooped 7x in less then 48 hours and had 5 really wet diapers... my milk isn't in yet, but the amount of colostrum i'm making has had her alrady gaining weight, instead of losing it. She left the hospital weighing more than she was born at.

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Way to go Emma! What a beautiful little girl. Congratulations!
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
So great!! Congrats!
by Sarah on Apr. 8, 2016 at 9:15 PM
by Nicole on Apr. 9, 2016 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this
What an amazing story! Congrats she's beautiful and looks likes she's already a nursing champ. I had back labor with Alexandria and my oldest. That crap is no joke but lucky for me neither of mine lasted nearly as long as yours. I had the back pains and contractions for weeks but active labor was only a couple of hours.
by Jackie on Apr. 9, 2016 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow! What a birth story! Congrats! I love her name!
by Emma on Apr. 9, 2016 at 10:39 AM


we are pretty in lvoe with her. LOL

Quoting JacknJill: Wow! What a birth story! Congrats! I love her name!

by Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 10:43 PM
Omg Emma congrats! I've been waiting to hear you had her, lol!!! She is absolutely beautiful
by Emma on Apr. 9, 2016 at 10:45 PM

Thank you. LOL I'm just waiting to heal up a bit more so I can clean my house up an dget caught up on laundry. haha

Quoting miracleblues: Omg Emma congrats! I've been waiting to hear you had her, lol!!! She is absolutely beautiful

by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this
So awesome! Congrats! I'm so happy for you!
by Member on Apr. 15, 2016 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats! She is beautiful

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)