Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does your little one talk alot?

Posted by on May. 30, 2016 at 3:15 AM
  • 17 Replies
HJ knows how to communicate and babbled a lot but doesn't say many words that are clear. Right now she says: hi, by, mum, dad, no, mine, cat, ball, bubble. How about your little one? Should I be concerned?
by on May. 30, 2016 at 3:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on May. 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM

thats about how wyatt talks right now

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2016 at 1:34 AM

i am thinking of getting her tested for a speech delay.  She babbles constantly but does not say a lot of actual clear words.

Bump2b
by Sarah on May. 31, 2016 at 6:44 AM
Mine is a big babbler too but still can say 50+ words and starting to string two or three together. Though she seems on track her articulation isn't fantastic, I think she will end up needing speech therapy down the track. She has a tongue tie I never had cut so we'll just see how she goes at this stage.
gooberholic
by Member on May. 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM

Gabriel has been surrounded by older children since he was about 3 months old so he's vocabulary includes: dog, maggie, sparky, mom, dad, daddy, nana, kitty, dog, doggie, hi, bye, baba, (crap & shit - because my miligold knows those), he can say car, water, milk and happy as well as TV. He's been babbling a lot more lately - so am going to assume more words are on the way. 

diesel_darling
by Juliette on Jun. 1, 2016 at 10:59 PM
All she does is talk. Constantly! She says a ton of words and can sting them together. "Thank you, mom" "I'm sorry, mom" "Open it" "In pocket, dad" "I buckle it" "Want more milk (or juice)"

There's more. She can communicate very well and can hold a mini convo with you lol
leebles
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2016 at 3:37 AM
I'm starting to feel worried... I'm wondering if Is should call the pediatrician about it...
kajira
by Emma on Jun. 5, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I would be more concerned if the language comphrension is low, rather than how much they talk yet. They aren't even two yet.

Can she follow directions? If you say "pick that up, put it in the trash" can she do it?

That's why Wyatt's pediatrician is not worried about his speech yet, especially since in our family, our kids aren't big talkers until 3+ and wyatt's language IS developing... he's just not talking in sentencesyet.

Kids develop at their own rate. I would be more concerned if your kid didn't have any comprehension of big sentences or language being used towards them.

Wyatt knows body parts, if you ask him where body parts are on himself, or other people he'll touch them or point. His articulation is bad, but that may be because of his tongue tie, i'm going to bring it up to his pedi at his 2 year visit and then see if she thinks a visit to an ENT who will clip it is warranted.

I would look at the bigger picture, instead of just one piece.

If she's not talking in sentences by 3, then i'd worry, but if she uses hand gestures, and sign type language to communicate, etc, I'd be worried now, but if she says cup and brings you a cup then walks over to the fridge for example, she's communicating.

Language and communication is more then just stringing words together. A lot of kids understand and are just slow to talk and won't need speech therapy simply because they are taking their time to use the language they've learned.

Comprehension gives you a good example of how much they understand, and if they have good comprehension, odds are they are just choosing not to use it quite yet.

Quoting leebles: I'm starting to feel worried... I'm wondering if Is should call the pediatrician about it...

leebles
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2016 at 2:24 AM
Thank you!!! That makes me feel so much better! She is great at communicating her needs and knows how to follow directions. I think I had just let my sister get in my head because ever time I see her she brings up something about how she doesn't talk much.

Quoting kajira:

I would be more concerned if the language comphrension is low, rather than how much they talk yet. They aren't even two yet.

Can she follow directions? If you say "pick that up, put it in the trash" can she do it?

That's why Wyatt's pediatrician is not worried about his speech yet, especially since in our family, our kids aren't big talkers until 3+ and wyatt's language IS developing... he's just not talking in sentencesyet.

Kids develop at their own rate. I would be more concerned if your kid didn't have any comprehension of big sentences or language being used towards them.

Wyatt knows body parts, if you ask him where body parts are on himself, or other people he'll touch them or point. His articulation is bad, but that may be because of his tongue tie, i'm going to bring it up to his pedi at his 2 year visit and then see if she thinks a visit to an ENT who will clip it is warranted.

If she's not talking in sentences by 3, then i'd worry, but if she uses hand gestures, and sign type language to communicate, etc, I'd be worried now, but if she says cup and brings you a cup then walks over to the fridge for example, she's communicating.

Language and communication is more then just stringing words together. A lot of kids understand and are just slow to talk and won't need speech therapy simply because they are taking their time to use the language they've learned.

Comprehension gives you a good example of how much they understand, and if they have good comprehension, odds are they are just choosing not to use it quite yet.

Quoting leebles: I'm starting to feel worried... I'm wondering if Is should call the pediatrician about it...

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 6, 2016 at 8:52 AM

My first son was a super early talker.

He's special needs.

Early development of skills way beyond the average, is also a red flag but people are always so proud of kids doing stuff early too, they forget that "normal range" is best... and ironically the normal range is HUGE.

That's why kids who aren't talking a lot at 2, are kind of "wait and see" approach unless they are lagging behind in other milestones.

I remember thinking when this boy was 18 months old, that my daughter barely talked compared to him, he flat out asked in a full sentence to go out side NOW.... 

Abbie would have just picked up her shoes and brought them to me and pointed at the door and said "go,"

LOL 

She talks fine now, she's 5, and the only thing she struggles with is her R's.... she's a bright kid, super energetic. Nothing wrong with her, other than she didn't feel the need to use a lot of words strung together since she could get her needs met with simple gestures and communicating in other ways.

Kids who use sign language for example, communicate earlier then kids who talk, but may not talk until later since they can communicate in other ways. Does that mean they are delayed? OR just hit milestones at their own pace?

As long as a kid is happy, content, hitting milestones on time, not showing signs of delays in other ways, I'd tell your sister to mind her own business until a doctor is concerned.

Quoting leebles: Thank you!!! That makes me feel so much better! She is great at communicating her needs and knows how to follow directions. I think I had just let my sister get in my head because ever time I see her she brings up something about how she doesn't talk much.
Quoting kajira:

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2016 at 2:21 AM

Makenna does comprehend a lot and we have heard her use words but sporadically.  She does point or bring things that she wants and does follow directions.  I just thought with everything we have done or are doing, she would have picked up language a lot quicker.  Even her autistic sister had more words spoken by this time.

Quoting kajira:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)