Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help....how can I wean myself off of caffine?!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 9 Replies

So I have a caffine problem...coffe (or 2) every morning, large Dr. Pepper or other caffeinated beverage at lunch, one more sometime between lunch and dinner, another with dinner and sometimes I'm drinking it up until I go to bed. If I quit cold turkey, I might die....or someone might kill me because the lack of caffine combined with pregnancy hormones is probably not a great mix. How can I wean myself off as quickly as possible for the health of the baby?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jeng1980
by Jen on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:24 AM

You don't necessarily have to wean yourself off of caffeine. Just make healthier choices such as drinking green tea.  I buy the little packs of powdered LIpton tea and it's green tea flavored with pomegranite and blueberry.  It's caffeine from the green tea.  I wouldn't completely wean myself off caffeine because it's not necessarily a bad thing.  I'm trying to do better with #4 but with #s 1-3 I have continued to drink Pepsi(my weakness) but didn't drink as much.  As long as you are drinking 3 large bottles of water to your 1 can/glass of caffeine then don't worry yourself too much.  Congrats by the way !

Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start by eliminating one drink at a time starting with whichever one you think you could do without the most (I'm thinking probably one of the evening drinks). As a bonus by eliminating that evening caffeine you will probably sleep better as well. Just work your way down one drink at a time every couple of days from there. Caffeine in moderation is okay, but you actually are drinking a very large amount of caffeine from what you've posted. You may be able to replace some of your drinks with caffeine free versions (like caffeine free Pepsi or Coke) that way you don't feel like you are giving up everything you like. Some people just don't feel like they can give up their morning caffeine in their coffee and if you can't then that one cup won't be that bad. Try to opt for no caffeine drinks the rest of the day uch as juices, caffeine free teas, soda and drink lots of water. Drinking water can be a hard habit to get into if you aren't used to it, but once you start you will find that you have more energy and won't even feel the need to consume as much caffeine.

sarahtbkh
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM
A cup or two a day won't hurt...I would die for some coffee but it makes me soooo sick right now:(
TwoSugars
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to step downs low or you will crash. Eliminate one per day until you are within the safe 2 cup of coffee a day range. First you really should completely eliminate the soda as the least concerning ingredient in that is caffeine. Start with whatever one is easiest for you which is likely to be the evening caffeine. You can start making substitutions like sparkling  water or tea for soda and hot organic tea for the coffee (non organic tea contains up to 60 pesticides! Celestial seasonings and yogi are among the worst). You can also dilute your coffee with milk. I love to make my own creamer with heavy cream, cane sugar, and Madagascar bourbon vanilla but you can make any flavor like chocolate, pumpkin spice, peppermint, caramel, etc... I use to have a pot a day habit but cut back with my last baby. It was not easy but it was worth it! You can do it!!

TwoSugars
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM

And if you are the kind if person who needs to retrain themselves to like water again there are. Recipes on how to flavor water with fruit and herbs I highly recommend. It's just a simple infusions, letting the items soak in the water for a certain amount of time.

mkjordan307
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:14 AM

i deerink ginger ale and sprite it really helps me!

SerpentsKiss
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I pretty much just stopped brewing coffee. I drink decaf tea instead. I do have a single energy drink once in awhile, but not daily.

cjsjellybean
by Stephanie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I let myself have 1 a day.  I was drinking between 1-4 before (a cup or two of coffee and 1 or 2 cans of coke) and I just cold turkey went down to one.  I get either 1 cup of coffee or one can of coke with dinner.  It's actually been pretty easy.

mamabird217
by Aislinn on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I drink tea every morning... usually green tea, but sometimes black tea (which has more caffeine in it).  I recommend trying a few different teas to see what works for you.  They're much healthier for you than sodas, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)