Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Foods to Avoid

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
Other than raw seafood, deli meats, fatty fish, and soft cheeses, is there anything I should be staying away from? Hubs and I are in NOLA and the food has been amazing so far!
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj3starz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't really avoid anything other than alcohol and excessive amounts of caffeine. :-) I stressed over it my first pregnancy, and decided I wanted to feel like a real person during my second pregnancy. Everything in moderation, and wash all your fruits and veggies. :-P I love my sprouts, sorry!
ashley0818
by Ashley on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Oh I'm not going to do anything excessive. I am allowing myself one cup of coffee a day. Just wanted to make sure there want anything major I was forgetting. .. lime no oysters! I would cry if you told me that!

Quoting sj3starz: I don't really avoid anything other than alcohol and excessive amounts of caffeine. :-) I stressed over it my first pregnancy, and decided I wanted to feel like a real person during my second pregnancy. Everything in moderation, and wash all your fruits and veggies. :-P I love my sprouts, sorry!
fluffball80
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I have heard mix things about deli meats and soft cheeses.  I think for those its what you feel comfortable eating.

TwoSugars
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Cooked oysters are fine. Pasteurized soft cheeses too. Small low mercury fish like salmon is ok (no shark or tuna). Small amount of wine has been shown to raise IQ in other countries but you won't find an American study on it, it's unethical they say. Cook your deli meat. Don't eat unwashed produce. 

Quoting ashley0818: Oh I'm not going to do anything excessive. I am allowing myself one cup of coffee a day. Just wanted to make sure there want anything major I was forgetting. .. lime no oysters! I would cry if you told me that!

Quoting sj3starz: I don't really avoid anything other than alcohol and excessive amounts of caffeine. :-) I stressed over it my first pregnancy, and decided I wanted to feel like a real person during my second pregnancy. Everything in moderation, and wash all your fruits and veggies. :-P I love my sprouts, sorry!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

sj3starz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
All cheese sold in major grocery stores is processed, and therefore not a major risk. Deli meat should always be cooked, but no one ever does.
As for fish, I've asked my Japanese husband about women over there, and they don't restrict sushi or anything. They have a higher average lifespan as well. I figure they're probably doing something right. Lol

Idk. I take most of the dietary restrictions with a grain of salt. Eat healthy whole foods, and ditch things out of a box. Then you're (general) good to go.

Quoting TwoSugars:

Cooked oysters are fine. Pasteurized soft cheeses too. Small low mercury fish like salmon is ok (no shark or tuna). Small amount of wine has been shown to raise IQ in other countries but you won't find an American study on it, it's unethical they say. Cook your deli meat. Don't eat unwashed produce. 

Quoting ashley0818: Oh I'm not going to do anything excessive. I am allowing myself one cup of coffee a day. Just wanted to make sure there want anything major I was forgetting. .. lime no oysters! I would cry if you told me that!

TwoSugars
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I would so not eat fish in japan. I'm paranoid about radiation 

Quoting sj3starz: All cheese sold in major grocery stores is processed, and therefore not a major risk. Deli meat should always be cooked, but no one ever does.
As for fish, I've asked my Japanese husband about women over there, and they don't restrict sushi or anything. They have a higher average lifespan as well. I figure they're probably doing something right. Lol

Idk. I take most of the dietary restrictions with a grain of salt. Eat healthy whole foods, and ditch things out of a box. Then you're (general) good to go.

Quoting TwoSugars:

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

sarahtbkh
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:28 PM
I dont restrict too much. I nuke my lunchmeat before i make a sandwich...other than that meh.
ashley0818
by Ashley on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My whole outlook on it is that we all turned out ok and our moms ate whatever the heck they wanted!

Quoting sarahtbkh: I dont restrict too much. I nuke my lunchmeat before i make a sandwich...other than that meh.
sarahtbkh
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this
While they smoked their.cigarettes lol! ;)

Quoting ashley0818: My whole outlook on it is that we all turned out ok and our moms ate whatever the heck they wanted!

Quoting sarahtbkh: I dont restrict too much. I nuke my lunchmeat before i make a sandwich...other than that meh.
sj3starz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Haha. They have restrictions and guidelines too! It's no worse than California seafood. Have to heard that instead of cutting out a lot of seafood in Cali, they raised the acceptable level of radiation? Messed up if you ask me. I don't trust the fda as far as I can throw them.

Quoting TwoSugars:

I would so not eat fish in japan. I'm paranoid about radiation 

Quoting sj3starz: All cheese sold in major grocery stores is processed, and therefore not a major risk. Deli meat should always be cooked, but no one ever does.

Quoting TwoSugars:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)