Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wonder why this isn't well known yet.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • 15 Replies

This was published in 2005.

http://www.apha.org/membergroups/newsletters/sectionnewsletters/matern/fall05/2142.htm

The largest prospective study of planned home birth with a direct-entry midwife shows that homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for low-risk women, yet carries a much lower rate of medical interventions, including Cesarean section. 

“Outcomes of planned home births with certified professional midwives: large prospective study in North America.” Kenneth C Johnson, senior epidemiologist, Betty-Anne Daviss, project manager. BMJ 2005; 330:1416 (18 June), is published online at <http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/330/7505/1416?ehom>.

Planning a home birth attended by a Certified Professional Midwife offers as safe an outcome for low-risk mothers and babies as does hospital birth. This study is the largest yet of its kind. The researchers used prospective data on more than 5,400 planned home births in North America attended by Certified Professional Midwives during the year 2000.

Canadian researchers Johnson and Daviss studied more than 5,400 low-risk pregnant women planning to birth at home in the United States and Canada in 2000. The researchers analyzed outcomes and medical interventions for planned home births, including transports to hospital care, and compared these results to the outcomes of 3,360,868 low-risk hospital births. According to theBritish Medical Journal press release, they found: 

• Eighty-eight percent of the women birthed at home, with 12 percent transferring to hospital.

• Planned home birth carried a rate of 1.7 infant deaths per 1,000 births, a rate "consistent with most North American studies of intended births out of hospital and low-risk hospital births."

• There were no maternal deaths.

• Medical intervention rates of planned home births were dramatically lower than of planned hospital births, including: episiotomy rate of 2.1 percent (33.0 percent in hospital), Cesarean section rate of 3.7 percent (19.0 percent in hospital), forceps rate of 1.0 percent (2.2 percent in hospital), induction rate of 9.6 percent (21 percent in hospital), and electronic fetal monitoring rate of 9.6 percent (84.3 percent in hospital).

• Ninety-seven percent of the more than 500 participants who were randomly contacted to validate birth outcomes reported that they were extremely or very satisfied with the care they received.

• There is more of the article. This was just the first part. Feel free to click the link to read more. :) I also just noticed that some of the hospital stats have changed since 2005, but the idea is the same. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    ELKmountain.mom
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM
    1 mom liked this
    My first two were simple hospital births with my family doc. Our 3rd was a home birth, by far a better pregnancy care, birth and recovery experiance.
    So many wonderful elements of using a midwife, being home and very educated on each stage and step of pregnancy, labor and birth made for the best experience of my life.
    CutieCrab
    by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Good share!

little.worthen
    by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    I thought it was well known. Everyone I know had home births
    sj3starz
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM

In my area it's almost unheard of. I only know a handful of women that I met through a group for homebirthers. In many states it's even illegal to try. :( Thankfully MI isn't one of them... yet.

Quoting little.worthen: I thought it was well known. Everyone I know had home births

little.worthen
    by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    Whoa that's crazy!
    Are you going to have a home birth? I'd love to try but I had two c-sections so I'll be lucky to have a VBAC at all. The doctors around here don't seem to like the idea

Quoting sj3starz:

In my area it's almost unheard of. I only know a handful of women that I met through a group for homebirthers. In many states it's even illegal to try. :( Thankfully MI isn't one of them... yet.

Quoting little.worthen: I thought it was well known. Everyone I know had home births

sj3starz
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    Yes my first birth was a horrible experience that allowed me to see the short comings of birthing at a hospital for a normal healthy mom. Since then, I've become an advocate for out of hospital birth, whether that be a center, assisted homebirth or unassisted homebirth. Of course, speaking about routine healthy pregnancies. There are always circumstances in which the medical industry is necessary. I just don't feel its the case in a normal physiological process.

Quoting little.worthen: Whoa that's crazy!

Are you going to have a home birth? I'd love to try but I had two c-sections so I'll be lucky to have a VBAC at all. The doctors around here don't seem to like the idea

Quoting sj3starz:

Mom2gna
    by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:16 PM
    I wish medical insurance covered at least portions of a home birth. :/ you would think it would be less expensive.

I read an article recently about the costs of birthing in a hospital and basically the cost of a natural no intervention birth was the same as a cesarean. That doesn't make sense to me! I should add that I believe cost is a major factor in why so many choose to birth in a hospital. I would love a home birth but my out of pocket for birth in hospital is a whopping $350. Hard to beat the cost. It's my third time around and I think ill splurge on a doula, but I would love for a home birth to be in my budget!
    Bradensmommy719
    by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    My home birth is about 3000. And most insurance companies will cover some of it.

People are skeptical when they hear things. Also don't want to do research. This is one reason I did more investigation about healthy births. Wish more people would open their minds and be accepting.

Quoting Mom2gna: I wish medical insurance covered at least portions of a home birth. :/ you would think it would be less expensive.

I read an article recently about the costs of birthing in a hospital and basically the cost of a natural no intervention birth was the same as a cesarean. That doesn't make sense to me! I should add that I believe cost is a major factor in why so many choose to birth in a hospital. I would love a home birth but my out of pocket for birth in hospital is a whopping $350. Hard to beat the cost. It's my third time around and I think ill splurge on a doula, but I would love for a home birth to be in my budget!
    sj3starz
    by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

My insurance covers 80% of everything, so I'm responsible for 20. My first birth in hospital, vaginally, no pit, cost over $10k. If that were to repeat itself with this insurance I'd be paying $2k just for labor and delivery. Not to mention all of the ultrasounds, tests, doctors appointments, etc. etc. It would get really pricey.

My homebirth services include all my prenatal care, labor and delivery, cleaning up my house after (well, what was messed up), and post natal appointments at 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks and 6 weeks. It also covers babys newborn appointments. :) The total for my midwife and supplies is about $3.4K

Quoting Mom2gna: I wish medical insurance covered at least portions of a home birth. :/ you would think it would be less expensive.

Rlambert6002
    by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I've read this before. I actually deliver in a hospital because there really aren't many other options around here. Researching I found the closest midwives to me are actually in the next state of KY. Incorrectly the info states that they are 17 miles from the town I live in....maybe as a bird flies, but driving it is closer to 55 miles away. Also, 3 of the 4 midwives it shows are in one practice and the reviews given to them by previous patients were poor. They scored below average in everything (friendliness, cleanliness, being seen in urgent situations, trust of provider's decisions, etc)....granted there were only 7 patients that had reviewed so I'm going to assume patient's who are unsatisfied tend to review more (actually I know that to be a fact for the most part). Actually though, I have had 9 hospital births and they were all pleasant for the most part. There were some incidences when I was younger and having babies that looking back on that I would have changed, but I was more timid then. And to be honest, the unpleasant parts were due to people on the staff and not the fact that I was in the hospital. I've heard people put down going to midwives because of their past experiences and I always say that it was the person they had the bad experience with, not midwifery in general. I feel the same about hospital births.....if you had a bad experience it wasn't the hospital that caused the bad experience, it was a person or people you were dealing with. I'm aware that people will/do make decisions based on past experiences and associations and that's normal. anyways, I've never knocked homebirth as a unsafe thing, it's just not an option for me.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)