Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad news at my appointment :/

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:41 PM
  • 12 Replies

I had my (nearly) 28w appointment today to get last weeks blood results back and for some reason she didn't get my glucose results with them?? Strange, but she's looking into it. Okay so the crappy news.. At 12w I had bloods done to check loads of things including my ferritin levels which is how much iron your body is storing.. Below 25 is serious and mine were a 15, now they're a 6 :( the problem with this is people who have NO iron stores in their blood and very low bp like me can get into serious problems if you lose too much blood during the birth.. SO my options are, take 2 iron tablets every single day until my 6 week postpartum checkup or spend a day up the hospital getting an iron transfusion through an IV :( Has anyone had a transfusion?? I hate iron tablets but I think I hate needles more and I'm really torn about what should be done :/

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fala
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I've never had a transfusion or taken iron tablets, but I have taken a liquid iron supplement. Is that an option for you? If just the pills or the transfusion are available to you, I would personally go with the tablets. Seems like less hassle and you could just take them with your prenatals every day.

tsmcconnell
by Tiara on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM
I went with the iron tabs. Mine was very very low last pregnancy and I list as lot of blood too thanks to my placenta's bring tore out of me. The iron sick either way. Eating high iron food along with this helps. Read up on iron absorption. Some vitamins can inhibit the absorption where others can actually increase it. You need to make sure you get the correct iron tablet. The pharmacist had to get me mine from behind the counter. It's iron ferrous and is best I guess.

How are you feeling? Is was so dizzy and often week when I was anemic. Having a level of 6 is insane!
tsmcconnell
by Tiara on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Oh! And combating constipation is key! Probiotics, fiber, and water! Tons! Fruit and veggie skin has fiber and drinking red raspberry leaf tea helps. My midwife said I can drink 5-7 cups as day!
cjsjellybean
by Stephanie on Jun. 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I am so sorry!!  My friend has to go once a week for the iron transfusions and she says they aren't that bad.

missbritt22
by Brittany on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM
So sorry to hear that! I don't have any experience with low iron levels, but if it were me I'd prolly just go get the transfusion just to be done and over with it. I'm horrible at remembering to take vitamins! I barely ever remember to even take my prenatals!
Mrs.Smith080808
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

My gf had low iron, especially after hemorrhaging after her 4th baby (she almost died she lost so much blood).  She has been taking iron pills since she hed him. Her son is now 8 months old and she is still fighting to get her iron levels normal

lilcutie79
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

My 14 yr old son has Crohn's and his Iron levels were very low so they tried having him take the iron tablets twice a day but that made him sick so we did the iron infusion through the IV and that was so much better for him. He had to get 2 infusions 2 weeks apart and his iron levels have been good ever since and that was last summer. I would personally go with the IV infusion and just get it done and over with so you know for sure by the time you have the baby your iron levels will be good. If you take the pills your iron levels might not be where the doctor wants them to be by the time you deliver. If you do take the pills take them with orange juice, the vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron better.

CutieCrab
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

:'(  

SerpentsKiss
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I am on a daily iron pill.

MissJordy
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Thanks for the advice! I also feel sick while taking iron pills and used to take them everyday during my teens and my levels were still low where my midwife practically guarenteed this would be a one off with no pill follow up.

Quoting lilcutie79:

My 14 yr old son has Crohn's and his Iron levels were very low so they tried having him take the iron tablets twice a day but that made him sick so we did the iron infusion through the IV and that was so much better for him. He had to get 2 infusions 2 weeks apart and his iron levels have been good ever since and that was last summer. I would personally go with the IV infusion and just get it done and over with so you know for sure by the time you have the baby your iron levels will be good. If you take the pills your iron levels might not be where the doctor wants them to be by the time you deliver. If you do take the pills take them with orange juice, the vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)