Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you be in "prelabor" for weeks?!

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is my third baby, so I know I am not in "real" labor yet. But yesterday, I started to get really painful contractions and a lot of pelvic pressure. They weren't getting stronger, closer or more regular and there is no change in my discharge or anything like that. After hours of misery, I looked it up in my What To Expect book, and my symptoms seem to indicate prelabor which the book said can last for up to a month!! I was having pains all night and still feel cramps this morning. I'm 32 weeks and my other 2 kids were born at 36 and 37 weeks respectively. I work full time outside of the home and can't be in pain for another month! Have any of you who have had previous pregnancies experienced prelabor that lasted for weeks? Is there anything the dr can do to make it either stop or be more bearable??

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Miss.Kristin
by Kristin on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
I remember when I was pregnant with my oldest he said that it is possible. With both my girls I had painful BH contractions for 2 weeks before I had them
CrimsonAlice
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM
With my first I was having regular contractions every 5 min and went to L&D they put me on a monitor and then had me walk and checked again, after that they sent me home and said I should have him by the end of the weekend because my contractions were still regular and strong. That was on Dec 11, 2009 I had those blasted contractions until Dec 26, 2009 when I finally gave birth.
HoustonMom22
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM

This is not fun. As much as I want this to stop, it's still too early and not the best thing for him. Oh the joys of motherhood. bad

tsmcconnell
by Tiara on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Yes you can but at this stage you should see your caregiver to be checked. You would hate to have a preemie already!
cjsjellybean
by Stephanie on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

It's never happened to me but I have several friends who have been in prelabor for weeks.  I can't imagine!

HazelBug
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:18 PM
While my contraction were never painful (even in active labor) I did have a lot of intense contractions in the month leading to childbirth. They were stop me in my tracks while I breathe for a bit contractions. Took my breath away and all. But eventually real labor came and went.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)