Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O baby showers for second or third etc. child

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM
  • 35 Replies

do you think it is tacky to have a baby shower if it is your second or third etc? I was always told you shouldn't have a baby shower with the ones fallowing the first but what if you are basically starting over? My youngest will be almost 6 when the baby is born and all we have is a playpen and a crib because of my foster son.

Mom to two bio daughters, two adopted sons, one on the way due in November and six foster children so far

Lilypie Maternity tickers

family in the vanexpecting baby 

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tstephens311
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's only fair to the baby. It's not for mom or dad. It's for the baby. I'll have one and this is my 2nd. 

lovemytwo88
by April on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Well, here is my opinion. I think everyone should have one with their first. I think you should have one with your 2nd baby only if you are having the opposite gender. I think anything after that is kind of tacky only because to me, a baby shower is kind of a thing to get your started with supplies. I kept all my stuff after my son (who will be 4) because I knew there was a possibility of having more children. I dont expect a shower or anything. 

Everyone has different opinions on it though... 

dragonqueen
by Shiloh on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:13 PM

See i wanted to keep all my baby stuff as well but DH has a thing about clutter. If we haven't used it in a year or more his motto is throw it out.

Quoting lovemytwo88:

Well, here is my opinion. I think everyone should have one with their first. I think you should have one with your 2nd baby only if you are having the opposite gender. I think anything after that is kind of tacky only because to me, a baby shower is kind of a thing to get your started with supplies. I kept all my stuff after my son (who will be 4) because I knew there was a possibility of having more children. I dont expect a shower or anything. 

Everyone has different opinions on it though... 

Mom to two bio daughters, two adopted sons, one on the way due in November and six foster children so far

Lilypie Maternity tickers

family in the vanexpecting baby 

bioteach
by Ashlie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I think a "sprinkle" for a 2nd or 3rd kid is OK if it is of a different gender, or been years since having your last one.

TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I think if they have kids close together its tacky. But if they are years apart and the parents got rid of baby stuff I don't have a problem with it.
chamelinmom
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I was always told no....believe me, we have started over many of times...when we moved after buying our home, we were planning on adopting our 5th and i even got rid of anything baby(the others ive kept a swing, or bouncer, or something tiny...we had g,b,g,b,b) but you dont realize how little you need for a baby....but we are prime time for yard sales and consignments. We will find out july what baby is and can start looking at yardsales and ive even found a brand new in the box jumper for $10...ive always been told tacky, but some get away with diaper showers where everone brings diapers. Some even do it through a gender reveal type of thing and everyone brings diapers. That will at least help with that cost, plus our little ones will be born right before christmas, thats a great time to ask family that buys your kids gifts for things you dont need asap like jumpers, playmats, ect. And other moms are always looking for other moms to give their baby stuff too. So even if you decide not to, you will probually end up with a lot of stuff free or cheap once everyone finds out. Especally knowing you have a big gap. 

To me, i wouldnt go out of my way to ask others to throw one for me, but if someone feels they should or want to, i wouldnt put much of a stop to. I personally believe every baby should be celebrated, but to ask others to buy you stuff because you want to have another child is looked on as despiration and tacky...but every family and every area is different

KayelynnsMama
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
This will be my third baby. My youngest is 9 months. Abd damnit, I'm having a shower!! I also have a 4 year old.. and I have never had a baby shower- not for either child. I want one, and I'll throw it myself if I have to. I want that experience.
Crob4
by Courtney on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I think it's tacky to have more than one.  I don't really like baby showers anyway, they always end up feeling like a gift grab instead of a celebration of a new life.

bioteach
by Ashlie on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I like attending showers, and seeing all the cute baby stuff.  But for my showers (whether they were wedding or baby) I didn't really like them.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciated everything we got.  But, I hate being the center of attention like that & feel like it's a "buy me stuff" party.  I always felt awkward.

Quoting Crob4:

I think it's tacky to have more than one.  I don't really like baby showers anyway, they always end up feeling like a gift grab instead of a celebration of a new life.

hbritton
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I would do a party but not a shower.

I feel that it's just asking for stuff, and after your 1st no one wants to foot the bill.
A shower (to me) is about showering a new mom with gifts, second and third "showers" are just tacky.

A gender reveal bbq/party would be fun...If I did that I would stress no gifts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)