Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My (Belated) Birth Story

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just now got around to writing out my birth story for anyone who is interested:

So all this time we thought we were having a girl because every U/S pic we had showed hamburger and no hot dog (I was technically team green, but hubby wasn't happy with being team green so he scoured the video of our only ultrasound for crotch shots and I'll tell ou what, not one of them showed a penis, but that's beside the point). Fine, whatever. So on Monday and Tuesday (11/17 & 11/18) I was extremely crampy and just miserable. I was already over 41 weeks and my midwife's deadline to deliver at home is 42 weeks which was 11/21. So yeah, I was both in pain and very anxious. No real contractions, though. I tried a bunch of spinningbabies maneuvers and was just praying constantly to have a fast labor for the first time ever.

On 11/19, I woke up with some decent contractions that were anywhere from 5-7 minutes apart. I laid in bed a while hoping they'd pick up, but they just stayed constant. I got up and they spaced out more, but I texted my midwife anyway to let her know what was going on. She was at another birth at the time and said she'd stop over when she was done. She came by around 1 or 2:00 and at that point, I wasn't having any regular contractions so she just did a prenatal check. I had her check me so I had an idea of where I was starting at. Apparently I was dilated to around 3 cm and everything else looked good so she left and told me to keep her posted. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Ate dinner, went to bed.

Woke up around 4:30 a.m. on 11/20 (my parents' anniversary) to horrible contractions around 5 minutes apart. Laid there timing them and in some pretty good pain for about 2 hours before I decided to get up and get in my bathtub because they hurt too bad to deal with otherwise. Went to the bathroom while I was waiting for the tub to fill and had some bloody show and I was shaking really bad. Got in the tub and felt a lot better. Waited until around 8 to text my midwife again. I think she got there around 9:00 with her assistant and then we all waited....and waited. I was contracting anywhere from 3-4 minutes apart and it was all I could do to concentrate on getting through them. I stayed in the tub until sometime around noon when I got out to use the bathroom.

I stayed out of the tub to change things up a little. She checked me again and I was only at a 7 with a bulging bag. I was a bit discouraged about that seeing as I had already gone through 8 hours of strong labor not including the crap the day before. Anyway, Todd made me a smoothie and my midwife talked me into drinking some orange juice since the thought of food disgusted me. I carried on like that until probably around 3 or 4:00 then I got back in the tub for a bit because I was in so much pain.

While the tub lessened the pain, it wasn't helping much to progress my labor so I ended up getting back out and she checked me again and I just had a lip of cervix left, but my amniotic sac was still bulging and preventing the total dilation. Long story short, I consented to having my water broken around 7:00 and the next hour was a blur of horrid pain, yelling on my part, both the midwife and her assistant coaching me through each contraction, and Todd squeezing my hips because the radiating pain was unbearable.

I remember yelling about how I didn't know why I was doing this again (natural birth) and all kinds of irrational stuff. At one point, I seriously thought I was going to pass out from the pain and exhaustion and had the thought that doing so might be a good thing because then they could take me to the hospital and cut the baby out – yes, the pain was that bad. I was totally out of my mind at the end. I was yelling and cursing like a sailor and I remember trying to watch my mouth because I didn't want to offend my midwife and she was like, “Let it out!” So I did.

Apparently I only pushed for about 17 minutes, though it felt like a lot longer. Once his head was out, she encouraged me to reach down and touch his head which I'm glad I did in hindsight. Getting that kid's body out was a task, though. It felt like he was doing karate while still inside and my midwife mentioned that he was rotating but it felt AWFUL.

When he finally came out, Todd cried a little and finally looked down and was like, “It's a boy!” All I could say was, “What?!?! NOOOOOO,” in total disbelief. Not that I was unhappy, but it was such a shock I didn't know how else to react. They passed him to me between my legs as the cord was still attached and I got up into bed and noticed how much HAIR he had. My other three were totally bald at birth and he had so much hair!

Midwife checked me and aside from a small skid mark, I didn't tear or anything which didn't mean much to me until they weighed him at 10 lbs 7 oz with a huge head.

Couple things to note on the side:

*Sage (my 6 year old DD) was in the room with me for most of the labor and she witnessed the birth because she had been asking to for months. She did wonderfully and I'm really glad she was able to see how birth works in that environment.
*Sage was extremely upset when she found out it was a boy. She cried and my dad had to comfort her while I was doing all the post-birth stuff.
*Apparently while I was screaming and yelling at the end, Quin could hear me from the living room and he'd yell (mocking me) like, “AHHHHHHHHH, momma!” Over and over.

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bbyblueAK
by Crystal on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:59 AM
That's great that your dd was able to be there and that she handled it well. I am glad you got to deliver at home like you wanted to. He is such a big and handsome boy from the pictures you have shared.

How are you doing?
dragonqueen
by Shiloh on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Sorry I just had to laugh about the part where you dd was upset. Sounds just like my oldest daughter. Lol. Congrats! Cute story.
krispyangel
by Kristin on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM
You are tough. I'm glad it's done and you have you precious baby.
StaciF
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Good gracious woman - no wonder you were miserable - my two babies were barely bigger than your one!!!! You are a super hero and I'm so glad that as much as that one sucked you got your home birth!! You're amazing!!
bria2014
by Bria on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM
You poor thing! I give you kudos for sticking it out in the end. Congrats momma! He's beautiful
Colesgal4ever
by Sarah on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM
I gotta tell you, despite all the horrible pain and all that you definitely inspire me to try a midwife and do things naturally the way things use to be (with my next one). You are a strong woman and how wonderful to be able to say you went through REAL child birth! Good for you girl!

I think that's awesome that your daughter got to see.

That must have been an awesome surprise thinking it might be a girl, only to find out it's a boy!

Wonderful story! And I'm glad big man (10 pounds!!) came out healthy :) Congrats again!!
lovemytwo88
by April on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I cannot fathom the pain!! Lol but awesome birth story!
My kiddos were also in the room for birth an my 4yr old DS was sooo interested and watched EVERYTHING!
My 7yr old DD on the other hand sat away on the couch with her eyes covered lol! Not cuz she was scared but because "i didn't want to see any gross stuff" lol
mrsbabymaker85
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I missed your announcement when you had your ds because I was still in the hospital. But really liked hearing your birth story. Congrats too btw, Because I dont believe I got to wish you that either on a very hansome lil guy!!

devoted31
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Ahhh transition doubts! I get very vocal during transition too, every damn time I tell my husband I;m not doing this again, why aren't we at the hospital where we can get an epidural etc :) 

Love your birth story! :)

Heather2001
by Heather on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I'm doing really well, thanks!  The one BIG perk of natural birth is how fast you are able to bounce back afterwards.  Hubby goes back to work in a week so I should be totally back up to speed by then, thankfully. 

Quoting bbyblueAK: That's great that your dd was able to be there and that she handled it well. I am glad you got to deliver at home like you wanted to. He is such a big and handsome boy from the pictures you have shared. How are you doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)