Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To bumper or not to bumper... that is the question

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM
  • 10 Replies

I used a crib bumper for both of my boys (now 7 and 3) and never had a problem with them. However, I have been reading and hearing that bumpers are no longer advised as they can cause strangulation, suffocation, and more. So, with Clay i have not used a bumper... the poor kid keeps turning horizontal in his sleep and getting his legs caught in between the wood planks. He has also had his head pressed hard against it to the point where he woke up screaming from it. Last night, about 2 in the morning I hear a blood curdling scream on the baby monitor so I ran down stairs (I cant believe I did not fall down the stairs with how fast I was running and how half asleep I was). Clay had one of his legs stuck again between the planks and it was hurting him.

Like I said, I used bumpers with the others and had no issues... but yeah I am a whole lot more paranoid with Clay then I was with my other two. I dont know why, but I am lol (aren't you supposed to be less paranoid the more kids you have LOL!)

Would you, at this point, do a bumper? Or do you think the risks of using bumpers are too high and should just let things go on as they are with him getting his legs caught in the crib and head hit against it?

Oh and I read that the mesh bumpers arent any better...

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heather2001
by Heather on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM
I'd do the mesh bumper if I had to use one. At least baby can breathe through it if his face gets mashed up against it.
TristanMitchael
by Kristina on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM
I used a bumper with my other 2 too but somehow my middle child would find a way to get her leg stuck between the bars. I don't have one in the crib now but she doesn't sleep in it either
lovemytwo88
by April on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:32 PM
I used em. Regular with #1 and mesh with #2.
I will use mesh with Abby too
Avetay
by Ave' on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:59 PM
They have mesh bumpers.
Colesgal4ever
by Sarah on Feb. 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM

For those of you that use the mesh ones, I have read those can strangle as well :/ Did you like them? Did you feel they were pretty safe?

bioteach
by Ashlie on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:23 PM

They have these breathable mesh bumpers now, which I hear are nice.  We have a traditional bumper & have never had a problem.  

I am also more paranoid with this kid, throughout my entire pregnancy too.

ASandersTX
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM
I've used regular bumpers with all of mine and no issues.
MrsDrewsMom
by Cassie on Feb. 5, 2015 at 10:47 AM
I have always had a regular bumper. No problems.
childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 7:54 PM
I didn't use one with DS and Aaliyah just started sleeping in her crib this week doesn't have one either. I've considered getting her a mesh one though.
RheaF
by on Feb. 6, 2015 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I used mesh bumpers with my older two. Just made sure they were tight on the crib. If not the kids would wake up screaming with bruises from getting stuck in the rails. You would think they would come up with a better design for cribs by now. This is a very common problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)