Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Setting the Table Sets the Bar

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Bring in the newspaper. Feed the dog. Empty the dishwasher. Make the bed. Set the table. We mothers are not barking out orders just to hear the sound of our own voices (or the sound of our kids' grumbles!). There's a method to our madness and it's all about making chores meaningful.

In today's hectic world, it's easier than ever to just do it yourself. You can do it faster, better and best of all, it gets done when you want it done! But, believe me, you're not doing anyone any favors.

Just like a business, it takes more than the boss to make a family run smoothly. Everybody has a role and it's important that each family member, no matter how old or young, contributes.

Assign chores according to your children's abilities. It's not fair to ask a six-year-old to unload the dishwasher when he can't reach the kitchen cabinets, but he can surely bring in the mail or the newspaper in the morning. Older kids can take out the trash, rake the leaves, shovel the snow and walk the dog. You can tailor chores to each child as well. Setting the table can be adapted for a young ‘un - perhaps by stacking the plates and cups on the dining room table for them. The very young can start simply by putting the forks and spoons on the correct sides of the plates.

Make sure everyone understands what their chores are and in what time frame you expect them to be completed. For some families a chore chart works best with stickers to indicate when the job is done. Some families like to rotate chores, others like to stick with what they have. Some families give monetary rewards, such as earning an allowance for completing chores, others say being a part of the family is reward enough.

There's no right or wrong way to divvy up chores, just as long as you DO! Teaching children responsibility and a sense of belonging is a lesson that will last them a lifetime.  

How do you handle chores in your household?

image ©  istock/valenaphoto

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM

My DD is asked to help out when she can, she is 3  She helps me pick up and helps me put away the laundry.

suziejax
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM

my teens have equal tasks...they are exspected to do if they do not they get grounded.

Angela4boys
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM
This is actually a goal of mine going forward. I carry most of the chores myself, and it's exhausting! I have been reading Large Family Logistics, and they suggest creating a checklist for each room, when they are all crossed off, job is done...that makes sense to me, because my kids are corner cutters ;)
CrnchyMamaCraig
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM
My kids help put away their clothes, and sort the laundry for folding. My oldest helps put things on hangers. Sometimes I let them put away the silverware. They are always responsible for their own room. Every few weeks or so we go through and organize and put random toys back where they go. :)
mandee1503
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
My dd's asks for jobs. I give her simple ones that I don't want to do at the time. Like vacuum or dust.
wandep
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM

They help with the laundry...putting their clothes away, take out the garbage, feed the cats, keep their rooms cleaned up.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The kds have certain chores they d, a few extra on weekends. We don't set the table tough. We dish up the food at the couner an they ge the silverare usually before they sit down

brittany208
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM

the only chore that is specifically DS's is emptying the silverware. Usually i just give him little jobs to do here and there .

MistressMinerva
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I have no kids at home anymore so all the chores are for me to do. Hubby will take trash can to curb and mow grass.

brownhoney21
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Thy help with things thy can do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)