Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good News Round-Up

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

The holidays are over. The decorations are all put away (or still need to be, which is a problem in itself). The kids are not digging the readjustment to school after a long break. You aren't feeling so hot. For whatever reason, you need a pick-me-up. That's where I come in, with some fun reads for you to click on to give you a smile. Here it is: the first Good News Round-Up of 2014! No need to thank me, just pass it along to someone else who's about to battle the winter blues! 

Kristin Mataluni's 20 Things that Our Parents Did That We Don't essay provides a chuckle, while also bubbling up some great memories of my childhood. It makes me want to capture some of the essence of those days gone by in my own life. Two I'm going to get going on: collecting things and playing board games. 

This piece by writer/mom/blogger Aidan Donnelley Rowley is a touching ode to her dad who, sadly, is no longer here. With vivid writing and beautiful rhythm, this is her latest tale of raising her three girls in NYC as little humans who are not just city creatures, but lovers of nature as well. I found it at Center for Humans and Nature, which has one fascinating article after another on nature, the world, and us.

Nothing says "Thank you!" more than marshmallows, eh? Read on and see photo proof of the adorable way a kiddo thanked his UPS driver for delivering packages in the snow.

When someone is mean or just not pleasant, what's the best defense? Go on the offense like Charles Clymer did. His random act of kindness was inspired by an annoyed guy behind him in the Starbucks line. 

As I read this list of 11 untranslatable words from other cultures by Ella Frances Sander, I smiled, nodded, and giggled. Not only is it a fun and interesting read, you just have to wonder how they compiled it. All are great, but one of my faves: from Indonesian, the word Jayus, which is "someone who tells a joke so badly, that is so unfunny you cannot help but laugh out loud."

This was perfect to read around the holidays, that time when it seems so much focus is on stuff. Amada Chan's 6 Reasons Why People - Not Things - Make you Happier provides actual facts and stats from studies to back up her statement. Shoot this to all of your colleagues who may be working too hard already in this new year! 

What good news have you been reading?

©iStockphoto.com/BrianAJackson 

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:26 AM

It seems like the news is full of bad news so it's always nice to hear something good!

michiganmom116
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Interesting articles!

louannwilkins
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:41 AM

I hear so much of the negative and sad stories so I'm always happy to hear good things!  :)

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM

So tired of hearing negative thoughts, this is uplifting.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:45 AM

The next time I read something negative, I'm going to read one of these, to balance it.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:46 AM

The vocal ad on this page is so irritating...anyone know how to eliminate the sound?

johnny4ever
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Interesting articles...tired of bad news

jessicasmom1
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM

interesting thanks ... 

jen113000
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM
I love hearing about random acts of kindness. It's nice for people to do things for others without wanting the attention.
jessicasmom1
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I agree

Quoting SweetLuci:

So tired of hearing negative thoughts, this is uplifting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)