Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Electronics for kids

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM
  • 26 Replies
I already posted another group about a four and a half year old child having a cell phone (not connected to phone seevice but had apps apparently), iPad, iPod, Wii and xbox. IMO, this is entirely too much for four and a half year old child.

What is your opinion on electronics for children?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My opinion:  electronics are not going anywhere...kids will have to know more and more about electronics and technology in the future.  If the electronic device can be used in educational or safety matters, more power to them for learning at a young age. 

Video games and apps appropriate for entertainment are becoming more and more of a babysitter, though....

louannwilkins
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Personally I think a 4 year old having that is a bit ridiculous.  Just my opinion

Sister_Someone
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Electronics aren't going anywhere. You can love 'em or hate 'em, but there's only going to be more of them in the future, so might as well embrace them and teach your children to use them properly and without going overboard while they're young.

johnny4ever
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM

My son is 10 and doesn't have  cellphone or ipad.

virginiamama71
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I think it is ok for children to have electronics since it is going to be a part of our future. just have to balance it out and make sure they remain active in other activities too.

proudmommy690
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM
I dont think they need a lot of them. My oldest has an innotab2 she got for Christmas 2yrs ago and i always forget to put batteries in it lol..it doesn't connect to the internet just can read books and do learning stuff.

Kids don't need cell phones and tablets or laptops. IMO. They can use my phone if needed. My mom let's them use her phone or tablet or computer when we are down there for games.
mandee1503
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Both of my kids have iPads. And my dd is allowed to play with the iPhones. It's good for her to know now. She will need the knowledge as she gets older.
sukainah
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM

A cell phone for a 4 1/2 year old is way too young.  I think the other electronics are fine as long as it's limited.

Ziva65
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I think we got my son a regular cell phone at about age 12? Can't remember. It was for emergencies and sports after school.

They did have gameboys, but iphones were just coming out., we didn't have them yet- I don't think there were ipads yet. He's now 17. Each of my kids now has an iphone, it's for emergencies, must always be on for me to call, rule is I see all texts, pics, snapchats and instagrams..and the tracker must always be on. But, they are all very responsibe, so I'm ok with it. (they are all in high school)

Things have changed though- they teach keyboarding in kindergarten. In high school they text teachers about assignments, and submit papers electronically- somehigh schools are all using ipads, and elementary schools are starting too. So, in that sense, I think if parents avoid electronics and kids don't feel comfortable with it, it could be doing their kids a disservice. In 6th and 7th grade my kids did have their first laptops and were doing required power point presentations for school so that would have been about age 11 maybe?

It's ok with me if they play games on it when appropriate, but if they abuse it, it's removed.

Whereismymind
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 4:28 PM
I agree with the pp who said technology isn't going anywhere and kids need to learn. My boys both got tablets for Christmas and use apps and learning games in limited amounts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)