Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good News Round-Up!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

I have a confession: It is February and I have already totally failed on all of my New Year's resolutions. I have not cooked more at home. I have not flossed every day. I am not reading more.

Well, about that last one. I am reading more, but not one of the 19 books I have stacked beside my bed. What am I reading? I'm reading a lot online. As the winter ho-hums are setting in a bit, I find myself more and more just surfing about the Internet while huddled under a blanket on the couch. I know, such an image! One benefit of my resolution failures: I have discovered quite a plethora of fun and uplifting articles while mindlessly clicking from website to website...which means -- you guessed it -- it's time for the Good News Round-Up! 

-- It seems like all of us were affected a few weeks back by the polar vortex and the incredible cold weather it brought. These brothers in Minnesota made the best of it by creating some amazing snow sculptures...is the theme song from "Jaws" going through your mind too?

-- I love it when I wake up and remember my dreams from the night before. It doesn't always happen, but when I do, I think about what I was doing or eating or worried about to cause me to dream that I was stuck in an elevator with Joan Rivers, Brad Pitt and a sloth. That is why I found this piece about what things influence our dreams so fascinating.

-- I have worn glasses ever since the fourth grade. It's tough adjusting to something adorning your face every day. When I read about "Glasses for Noah," a Facebook page a mom started when her little guy was hesitant to wear his glasses, I just had to smile. Not only did the page help Noah, it's helping tons of other kids become more comfortable with their new glasses too.

-- Break out the tissues for this one: click through to read about a fabulous Good Samaritan by the name of Anthony Cymerys. He's a barber in Connecticut who trades "haircuts for hugs," giving those less fortunate than him a fresh look and a little hope. Flip through the slideshow for some instant virtual "ups."

-- Remember last September, reading about Davion Only, the 15-year-old boy in foster care who went to his church to ask for a family? Well, the follow-up to his story is pretty spectacular and came right about Christmas time. I have my fingers crossed things are still looking up for him.

-- Any article that gets me thinking boosts my mood -- which is why I dig this slide show of questions we should ask ourselves. It inspired me to make a new resolution: post a few of these around my desk as reminders. Done and done!

What funny, interesting or just plain good news are you reading these days?

©iStockphoto.com/BrianAJackson 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara_7106
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Any news that doesn't involve more snow...lol
elasmimi
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Just saw on the Today show where two daughters had given their mom a ticket to a Broadway musical, but didn't have enough money for the trip. It was amazing what people gave, and offered to give, one family even offered to open their home and let them stay with them.

brittany208
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:32 AM
3 moms liked this

I've been reading a lot of blogs. and of course the Bible--thats the best news!

Madelaine
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Love it!

Quoting elasmimi:

Just saw on the Today show where two daughters had given their mom a ticket to a Broadway musical, but didn't have enough money for the trip. It was amazing what people gave, and offered to give, one family even offered to open their home and let them stay with them.

Madelaine
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Lots of blogs

strictmomhere
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM
I read here on cafemom and blogs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
Me too

Quoting Madelaine:

Lots of blogs

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
Thats awesome:)

Quoting elasmimi:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
1 mom liked this
We read the bible:)

Quoting brittany208:

I've been reading a lot of blogs. and of course the Bible--thats the best news!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Lots of homeschool stuff from other moms
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)