Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dirt Don't Hurt

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 78 Replies
2 moms liked this

Before I had children, I was the type of person who liked to have everything neatly in place. My home was organized and fairly clean. I wasn't particularly fond of messes, bugs or the great outdoors. My need to control my environment was largely a sign of insecurity; I was afraid of the unknown.

Having two boys changed all that.

Kids have a way of upturning your whole world in the greatest ways, don't they? I was once an apartment-dwelling, mall-hopping city girl. Now I live in the country and spend my days adventuring. I take my children on long walks through the neighborhood, seeking out the muddiest puddles so they can romp around and explore. Childhood is made up of these moments, and I want them to enjoy it all uninhibited.

I watch as they jump and laugh, and it makes me happy to see them freely experiencing life and creating memories on their own terms. I finally understand what my feisty grandma had in mind all those years ago when she'd pull up my rubber boots and scoot me outside to seek out rainbows. “Dirt don't hurt!” she'd say, encouraging me to break out of my reserved shell.

My hope is that passing this lesson on to my kids from a young age will make them bolder people who readily embrace the world around them with curiosity, wonder and excitement.

How do you explore the world with your kids?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara_7106
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Walks, bike rides, zoo trips
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I love going to the beach and letting them explore!!!
Miranda1127
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM

I like the getting your hands dirty method.

goddess99
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:17 AM

My dd loves dirt and bugs, everything gross. I still don't so I let her explore on her own.

cafay
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I try to. Im a girlie girl and my son is all boy,but I have no problem just letting him play in whatever he wants. Mud,creek water,whatever!

strictmomhere
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Long walks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Hubby takes them on bike rides
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:32 AM
We go to state parks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM

We love Hiking

jessicasmom1
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:53 AM

bike rides, zoo, museums

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)