Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't like my neighbors dog

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM
  • 8 Replies

I hav always been a little bothered by my neighbors dog. He is a lab, which are a great breed, but he is a little aggressive sometimes. The first time the kids went over there I held out my hand for him to sniff and he jumped forward barking ad growling. He does great around the kids. Over the lat few years I have gotten more comfortable with him, I bring him treats sometimes when I take the kids over there to play and he is usually really friendly.Today I ws taking my daughter over to play and he was baring and jumped agains the fence and grabbed my sleeve of my sweatshirt and help on to. He didn't growl or anything but it still ugs me some. He ddn't touch my skin at all. When he did that the owner came out and she called him to his bed an held him while I dropped my daughter off in the house.(the dog stays outside). In a little I have to go get her and it makes me kind of nervous.   I know he is probably picking up on me being nervous and my daughter too, she has me pick her up to gothrough the yard since he likes to sniff her alot.

I love dogs and have no issue with most of them. He just makes me alittle nerous. Dogs that bark and growl do make me nervous I was attacked by one of my Aunts dogs as a kid. I wasn't hurt thankfully because I was righ by my dads truck and was able to blimb up on the tire and in to the bed f the truck as the dog barked and growled and jumped against the truck. It took a while for anyone to hear me yelling and to come get the do. I was around 7-8 at the time

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ambear72
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I would be afraid too, it dosnt sound like the kind of dog I would want to be around.  Can your neighbor but the dog in the backyard when she knows you are going over there?  

othermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ambear72:

I would be afraid too, it dosnt sound like the kind of dog I would want to be around.  Can your neighbor but the dog in the backyard when she knows you are going over there?  

There is no way to fence him off. Also usually when I go over she doesn't know before hand since it is when my yungest asks to go play. They liv right behind us. It wasn't so bad when I picked my daughter up, of course I had a few treats for him, that made him happy.

Ambear72
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Oh well good it was easier when you picked her up.  Maybe taking treats everytime you go over will help.  Only give them though when the dog is scaring you.

Quoting othermom:

Quoting Ambear72:

There is no way to fence him off. Also usually when I go over she doesn't know before hand since it is when my yungest asks to go play. They liv right behind us. It wasn't so bad when I picked my daughter up, of course I had a few treats for him, that made him happy.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:28 PM

That is what I was thinking, although when I bring treats he can smell them and is al over me sniffing to find them, lol.

Quoting Ambear72:

Oh well good it was easier when you picked her up.  Maybe taking treats everytime you go over will help.  Only give them though when the dog is scaring you.

Quoting othermom:

Quoting Ambear72:

brittany208
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Im pretty squeamish around dogs too. no reason though

mnmo3bb
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I'm sorry! Any breed can be aggressive, Labs are generally seen as very friendly but all dogs need excersize, discipline and love (per Cesar Millan's amazing advice!) if those aren't being met, he could be a disaster waiting to happen. Dogs need to be walked, not just let to run around in a yard. They also need attention. I would proceed with caution. You sound right to be cautious.

mamamiajk
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I too am a dog lover. I have 5 Labs that all live inside but we run them at the river or boat dock by our house. We live in the city but MI is packed with parts and waterways. You are right about dogs of any breed sensing fear and nervousness. It's their built in radar. Labs are as a rule people pleasers but there is an exception to every breed. Do you own any pets? The reason I ask is that their sense of smell is how they relate My dogs are all well trained and as a rule are happy to see everyone (especially kids) BUT they are also very loyal and protective....especially with me. If they sense any kind of danger to us or our property they react right on cue. Have you ever talked to the owner to express your concerns? My guess is if you actually spent some time at their place or yard relaxing and just chatting the dog would learn you are no threat. Again this goes back to the children. They would give their life to protect yours and especially theirs. I hope all works out for the best especially when you are neighbors. Peace out!

sara_7106
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM
I agree

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I'm sorry! Any breed can be aggressive, Labs are generally seen as very friendly but all dogs need excersize, discipline and love (per Cesar Millan's amazing advice!) if those aren't being met, he could be a disaster waiting to happen. Dogs need to be walked, not just let to run around in a yard. They also need attention. I would proceed with caution. You sound right to be cautious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)