Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picnic at Home to Keep Food Fun

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 77 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have a toddler, and it's a constant struggle to keep his focus on food throughout any given meal. Anyone who has witnessed a 2-year-old at the dinner table can attest to the up-and-down experience that leaves parents trying all sorts of tricks to make food more entertaining. We it food into fun characters, serve it on interesting plates and alter the menu on a daily basis.

My latest effort to keep food fun for the little guy has worked wonders for his mealtime attention span. I've started changing up where we eat on occasion, declaring picnic time for the family for random lunches. I take our usual fare outside to a table and set it in semi-formal plates and bowls. Real dishes send the message that I'm taking this eating business seriously – no playing “tag” or “Duck, Duck, Goose” until we've gotten some real sustenance.

Something about changing up our routine and altering the setting helps make him more aware of his behavior. He's conscientious about table manners throughout our picnic experiences, and almost always finishes every bite. He especially enjoys when I make him a platter of finger foods such as raisins, Halos, cheese and crackers.

How do you keep food fun for your children?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krys1025
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:17 AM
We do a variety of finger foods to let him choose and he really eats better that way.

I'll do like cubed chicken, string cheese already torn into little strips and halved grapes or easy things like that.
Bob192
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 12:28 AM

My kiddos love when I do that.  Every once in a while we will have a picnic in the living room and it is such a treat for them.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM
I like new forks and spoons and plates here and there as well as trying to get them involved in the prep
jen113000
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Finger foods are great. Especially fruit for my kids. They eat that all up.
elasmimi
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Mine is a little past the toddler stage. I keep her interested by letting her participate in meal planning and cooking.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM
10 moms liked this
Honestly I don't go out of my way to make food fun. I cook, we all sit down and eat. The end. Lol!
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM
I do love picnics though!
Kaci
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I have done this with my grandkids and they loved it.

Quoting Bob192:

My kiddos love when I do that.  Every once in a while we will have a picnic in the living room and it is such a treat for them.

Kaci
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
lol got to love it!

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny: Honestly I don't go out of my way to make food fun. I cook, we all sit down and eat. The end. Lol!
Kaci
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM
I do this with my gd. She loves it! She's almost 3.

Quoting elasmimi:

Mine is a little past the toddler stage. I keep her interested by letting her participate in meal planning and cooking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN