Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Type of Mom are You?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's funny how we envision our family before we become parents. We have plans for how we're going to raise our children and what role we'll play in every aspect of their lives, and it never turns out quite how we imagined. Nothing can prepare you for how children change your entire world.

I used to say I would never be the stereotypical “soccer mom.” I couldn't stand vans. I swore I wouldn't spend my time shuffling kids to and from extracurriculars, arranging snacks and managing other people's schedules. Children, in my strong opinion as someone who didn't have them, should go with the flow – their schedules shouldn't be calling the shots!

After they came along, though, I quickly came to understand why parents give everything to fulfill their children's dreams. It finally made sense to me, and I embraced my new role as the doting parent and encouraging mother. That's not to say I've lost myself, though. I simply figured out how to infuse my own personality into our activities as a family. I'm the mom grabbing a bag of Halos for the kids and rocking a mandarin smile. I'm on those sidelines with friends, balancing my time and my personality with the varied and unique interests of my children.

How did your understanding of parenthood change once you became a mom?

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bob192
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Everything changed. I had a set of beliefs of how I was going to be and I realized after I became a mom I had to learn to do what worked for my family. I also said I would never drive a van!!  Now I do..

elasmimi
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Everything I thought I knew flew right out the window, lol. Especially when the teen years rolled around.

johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Everything changed!!!!Parenting books did help a bit though.

Miranda1127
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM

IDK if it did. I've always been a ...go w/the flow type of person.

TerriC
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:02 AM

My whole world changed.  I have a vision f what it would be like and it isn't even close.  I just learned to find balanced through it all.

virginiamama71
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM

this

Quoting Miranda1127:

IDK if it did. I've always been a ...go w/the flow type of person.

Madelaine
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Yep!  The teen years are a joy!

Quoting elasmimi:

Everything I thought I knew flew right out the window, lol. Especially when the teen years rolled around.

Madelaine
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Everything changed!!

Angela4boys
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup,, everything changed. First of all, I didn't envision myself with kids...now I have 5, lol! I used to have everything just so...did I mention I have 5 kids? Lol! I never liked loud, never could stand a racket...now my house sounds like a heard of elephants live here. Things change :).
goddess99
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I never once thought about being a parent until I became pregnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN