Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do your kids call their grandparents?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

Susan Sarandon's Alternative to 'Grandma' Is Pure Genius

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

susan sarandonIn case you haven't heard, Susan Sarandon is about to become a grandma. The actress' gorgeous daughter, Eva Amurri, is pregnant with her first child, so you know what that means: Sarandon is about to become Grandma Susan.

Only she's not. Susan has decided she's not a "grandma" kind of gal, so she and a friend came up with the cutest, most adorable alternative to the g-word.

"Honey." That's what Susan wants to be called, and her daughter is completely cool with it. "I borrowed this name from a very dear friend of mine who’s from the South, and his grandma was 'Honey,'" Susan said. "That’s what I’m experimenting with, and Eva likes it, so we’ll see."

But the reason Susan's opting for Honey over Grandma isn't just because of the association she has with the latter (read: old, purple-haired ladies shooing cats with their canes from the porch), it's because the parents of Eva's husband, Kyle Martino, pretty much have already staked their claim. "I think it’s good because this is [Kyle's parents'] seventh grandchild, so they’ve established what his parents are called," Sarandon said. Perfect!

More From The Stir: 35 Sweet Alternatives to 'Grandma' & 'Grandpa'

Being that my daughter isn't yet 2, I really haven't given much thought as to what I'd like to be called when the time comes to become a grandparent. But I'm definitely keeping Honey in the back of my head. Thanks, Susan's friend from the South!

What do your kids call their grandparents?

Image via David Shankbone/Flickr

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ScrChk23
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Nana, Papa

bmthverana
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Gammaw and pawpaw
Angela4boys
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Grandma and Grandpa...and I think Honey is weird btw, hahaha!
PennOhioBabe
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM

My parents are Grammie & Poppie. My inlaws are Grandpa & Grandma Mo

michelle623
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Granny and Grandpa

Grandma Sue and Papa

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Grandma and Grandpa.

CrnchyMamaCraig
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Lol no one wants to be "granny" anymore! My
Mom is "bebe" my step dad is Pop, my dad is grandpa oscar, my mil is Meme, and sfil is poppy, fil is pawpaw busa, and smil is mawmaw Gail. And then great grandmother- granny/ pawpaw, and My grandmother has always been called gran.
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I love that!  We have Nana and Papa and Oma and Opa, and my DH and I are Nana and Papa to our granddaughter.

Ziva65
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Well, that woman has issues I guess...

Our kids call my parents Oma and Opa. they call my husbands parents Grandma and Grandpa.

Gonzo318
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Nana and papa, meme and pa, gee gee and bubba
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)