Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small Organizational Tweaks for A Big Payoff

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

It happened on January 2. As I sat on the couch, sipping my third cup of java, looking around our smallish one-bedroom apartment, with piles of books teetering in the corner, Rainbow Loom bands and colored pipe cleaners spilling out of cubbies in front of me, and drawers with Kiddo's My Little Pony underwear peeking out that barely shut in the next room, it hit me.

We need a mega organizational makeover.

Now, seeing as no home design show makeover team was busting through my door in the near (or even distant) future, I knew it was up to me. But, with everything else going on in Life these days, starting a huge undertaking like this just wasn't in the cards. There just wasn't enough time.

What's a mom to do when organization is needed STAT, yet there isn't a whole lot of time (or money)?

You, oh wise mama, make a few small changes to your organizational plan and --voila! -- big payoffs are seen (until that SWAT team of professional designers pay a visit). Here are just four tiny tweaks that will kick your organization into high gear!

-- Invest in a label maker. This one little gadget is key to making those closets and storage areas really work for you. From the linen closet to your wardrobe, from the playroom to the kiddos' drawers, knowing what is in which box/bin/cubby/drawer will save you some sanity and time. It also helps when you hear the "I'm bored" call so the kids can easily find something that may be "out of sight, out of mind."

-- Install shelves in strategic locations. Go around and look over those doors in all of those rooms...just wasted two feet of space, no? Install a shelf over every door and you have more added storage areas. I especially like this hint for the bathroom (extra towel storage anyone?) and the kids' room (perfect perch for those stuffed friends who they don't play with anymore, but can't part with).

-- Double up. I'm talking about those things we use all of the time and can never find...scissors, tape, those storage bins to collect things that often end up on the floor. Stash some scissors in the kitchen -- as well as the den and around the homework area. Get another hamper just for the kids' room if they can't seem to transport those sticky socks to the bathroom. Buy an extra tote or two to keep in rooms that just have more stuff.

-- Designate a place for everything you use everyday. From remotes to iPhones, keys to backpack, have a place where they live. Little boxes, small trays, docking stations, hooks right by the back door -- whatever you need to keep handy needs to have a specific area.

Where is your biggest organizational nightmare in your house? Have you thought about what you need to fix it up?

ŠiStockphoto.com/AnikaSalsera 

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:22 PM

My laundry room! It's a nightmare. No one ever sees it so it's hard to keep it clean becaues I know company never goes in there....LOL

I need to get more storage for it and just organize better.

I could use more shelving in my laundry room and stop using it as a catch all room. There is a corner of my laundry room where I have put things I'm not sure where else to put.

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

My living room! I have totes everywhere.I really need to organize it

RADmomma
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM
There's not an area that doesn't need organization here!! Lol

My kitchen/living room just needs more storage.

My bedroom is small & my bed is big so I need clothes storage.

The girls room needs a new dresser.

The school/craft room needs to be unpacked & organized.

The playroom... It a disaster! Lol
johnny4ever
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Filing Cabinet.Thanks for the extra push.I have time in my schedule today to clean it out!

RobynS
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My office is my nightmare. Ugh! I started a weekly post in another group where I post "before" pics of certain areas of my house and then come back and post the "after" pics--that keeps me accountable, b/c once all of those mamas have seen my mess, I REALLY want them to see that I've fixed it.

I've encouraged other mamas to jump in and do the same, but so far no one has been brave enough to post their "befores." LOL

sukainah
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:01 PM

These are great ideas.  My biggest organizational nightmare is the kids papers, such as crafts and school papers that I just can't seem to part with.  I have thought about what I need to do with them, I just need to buy the right products, cheap, and get on it. lol

Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM
The kids rooms. I am actually organizing their rooms and the play room today! Lol We have a lot of work to do. It would help if we had more storage space, but we are in a tiny house. I have one shelf with those cloth boxes to help organize some, but that only does so much.
mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Our porch is the catch all lol I just deep cleaned and organized the whole upstairs last week this week I'm doing the main floor!!
wandep
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Our junk room.
4kidz916
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

My desk area stays in a mess.  That's where I need the most help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)