Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super Smoothie Round-Up!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM
  • 40 Replies
5 moms liked this

When it comes to cooking, I am not the most adept mama in the kitchen. As a result? I do a lot of "push-button preparation" - I push a lot of buttons (mainly on the microwave or toaster oven) to fix things. Those items I'm heating up? Usually organic and there's coverage of all food groups, but I know this isn't the most healthy way to get food onto the table.

As part of my overall "Make this year awesome" resolution (I figure if I make this resolution thing pretty vague, I might not fail as miserably as years past), I want to get a little bit better in the kitchen, bump up the volume on healthy and fresh fixings for the family. I know I need to start easy, start small to succeed and after reading about how to make simple switches in your diet, I think I've found a new friend: the smoothie.

It's pretty hard to mess up a smoothie, right? There's just one kitchen tool you need: a blender (I know, I'm still pushing buttons on the device, but it is a start, eh?). The directions are the same for each recipe: plop the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. So simple, even a not-so-hot cook can make these healthy treats! 

Strawberry-Banana-Blueberry Smoothie from SimpleGreenSmoothies.com
(A little hint for this one: blend spinach, orange juice and water first, then add the remaining fruits and blend some more. To make this really a super-cold smoothie, make at least one of the fruit frozen.) 

2 cups spinach, fresh

3/4 cup water

3/4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed

1 cup strawberries

1 cup blueberries

2 bananas

Beet, Carrot and Apple Smoothie from WilliamsSonoma.com 

2 beets, peeled and cut into chunks

2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks

1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced

1 cup ice cubes

3/4 cup sweetened cranberry juice

Peanut Butter Berry from CookingLight.com

1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk

1/2 medium ripe banana

1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter

1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries                              

1/2 cup crushed ice

Do you make smoothies? I need more to try -- share your best smoothie recipe! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ CharlieAJA

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

The first 2 sound delicious! I'm willing to give the second one a try since my "farmer" husband grows beets, lol. He is always trying to get me to try them.

My favorite smooth is Strawberry banana, mango pineapple and blueberry pomegranate

I also do a strawberry kale one

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I have never mad eone.But the first one sounds so good

RADmomma
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM
The last ones sounds good for breakfast!!
johnny4ever
Hiking!
Today at 10:55 AM
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I need to try a smoothie!I need to head to pinterest later anyways!

RobynS
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Beet, carrot, apple sounds good. I'd have to use a different juice, though (cranberry allergy--boo).

I do make smoothies. I've been using a chocolate protein powder and adding chia seeds, coconut powder, gelatin, and chocolate almond milk. Yum!!

RobynS
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM

There are soooo many great smoothie recipes that use banana and/or greek yogurt and I can't have either of those. So I'm always looking for other good recipes. I saw one a while back that had sweet potato in it. It's supposed to be good for before and after a workout. Definitely want to try that one!

sukainah
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I don't make smoothies, but these sound great.  I may have to try them.  All I have is a food processor and no blender, but maybe it will work.

Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:15 PM
I make a smoothie every morning, but I usually don't add much. 1/4c honey Greek yogurt, 1/2c of fruit, 2TBSP PB2 (this is usually if it's a banana smoothie), a couple ice cubes and either a touch of orange juice or some water.
jen113000
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Mmmm I love smoothies! These recipes sound great!
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:31 PM

No, I was going to but I haven't gotten around to it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)