Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Awesome Craft Idea: New Uses for Old Catalogs!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

They tend to come into your home and stay well past their welcome. They don't take up a lot of space, yet, you don't know quite what to do with them, where to put them. Too many stacked at one time can lead to bodily harm to Mr. Whiskers the cat as they topple over.

I'm talking about catalogs, my friends. Anyone else have a pile of them leftover from the holidays that is reaching Mt. Everest-proportions? Sorting and chunking them into the proper recycling receptacle was on my things to do this week, but, to my surprise, I am keeping them. Why? Well, on Saturday, Kiddo busted one open, grabbed some tracing paper, and went to town creating little pictures. We had a fun arts-and-crafts project going for a good hour or so.

It dawned on me: I could recycle these in a way that doesn't involve me hurting my lower back attempting to relocate them to the bin. We can reuse them via some cool crafts!

-- Mosaic masterpieces. This is one is so simple...I often forget about it, it is that easy. All you need are a few old catalogs, scissors, glue, and a piece of paper (a little heavier paper is usually better). Have the kids cut up a variety of shapes and forms, or make them all the same little squares, whatever they feel like...and then glue them onto create a cool piece of artwork.

-- Collage of Thoughts. I always think of a collage as the fancier version of the mosaic. Have your kids flip through those catalogs and old magazines and cutout anything that strikes them -- things they love, words that inspire them, what makes them laugh. Then arrange and glue the selections on a piece of paper. This is a great one for older kiddos, especially when you give them a theme like "I love ____!" or "My favorite things" or "My Dreams!" 

-- Fun décor. Check out this idea I spotted at Cutoutandkeep.net. With those old magazines and catalogs, a pair of scissor, some twigs from the yard, and tape (or, if you are fancy, you can use a hot glue gun). Cut out some leaf shapes and little birdie shapes, maybe even a nest or an owl or whatever you want, and then attach them to the twigs. If you want to make them a little sturdier, tape them onto a piece of cardboard in the same shape first. Then, arrange the twigs in a large vase and -- bam! -- chic, DIY décor.

Do you have a bunch of old catalogs and magazines? What crafts are you doing lately in your home? 

©iStockphoto.com/ OxanaD      

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Yes, I do actually. I was debating earlier if I should throw them out, lol.

I think I'm going to let my children use them for crafts.

All 3 ideas sound good : )

lalasmama2007
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Neat ideas, but we don't get any magazines or catalogs delivered anymore.

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I used to save them.Now I donate them or give them away

johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM

What we don't recycle I use for Scrapbooking!

RobynS
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I cringe at the thought of throwing out old magazines. DH sometimes tries to recycle one before I've even read it!! GRRRR!! I love these ideas. :)

AlannaMaria
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Cool ideas! We don't have a bunch if magazines laying around
sukainah
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I usually throw the catalogs away, but these are great ideas.  I love the twigs decor.  I'll start saving those catalogs!

Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Good ideas! I usually use the catalogs as either table covers for crafts so I don't ruin the tables or I recycle them. Lol

Crafts in the house right now are all centered around my sons first birthday. He will be one on Thursday!
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I will keep the parenting and family magazines and let DD practice cutting out the pictures and she likes to glue them on paper plates for fun.

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Cute ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN