Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You Select On-The-Go Snacks For Your Family?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM
  • 67 Replies

Snacks are essential for all families, especially those that are always on the go. But it can be challenging to find the perfect snacks for your children. As a parent you want something delicious and healthy that your kids will love. What do you look for in your children's snacks; nutrition, convenience, price point, etc.? 

Tell us, How do you select on-the-go snacks for your family?

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
For our snacks we need healthy, easy to travel, not so messy, and preferably dairy free options. We often do veggie slices with hummus, crackers, pretzels, raisins, string cheese for my dd, etc. It is super important to me that we have healthy options for snacking when we are on the go, my kids dont eat fast food at all, so to have to give them junk when we are on the go would just upset their bellies and make the trip a hundred times worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplyEnchanted
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM

We look for healthy snacks that can easily be packed or stored until we're ready for them.  Easy to open packaging is a must and we look for snacks that can be bought in large bulk packages as we have a large family.  Nutritional value and healthy choices are important to us.

Mom2Just1
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Healthy options are a must!  I also like for it not be messy. (:

We are on the go a lot so it is very important. I love just giving the oldest a snack before soccer to help him get an energy boost and tide him over until dinner.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Whereismymind
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM
I look for healthy and non messy snacks on the go. If we have many places to go it's nice to have a quick snack in the car that's good for them and isn't going to get everywhere.
pixiemg1
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I look for healthy and convenience with snacks.  I want something that is easy to open and not make a mess in the car.  

Angela4boys
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM
We are spontaneous and don't always have time for extensive planning. Having healthy snacks at our ready is a must!

When choosing snacks for my kids, healthy is #1, but price ranks right up there! We have a lot of kids in our family so budget is always an issue. Convenience is a big factor in choosing snacks, I don't have time to be in the kitchen all day, every time someone wants a snack. Sometimes I need to do laundry and clean toilets too, hahaha!
my4littlegirls
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I need easy to eat and easy to take along for our snacks, we are very much on the go. It is very important that it is healthy because I feel my kids do not eat proper as is. If the snacks are healthy it outweighs the fact that they do not eat much at meal times.

smorgan865
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I need stacks that are convient to grab and go and NOT messy for the kids to enjoy on their own. I don't want to be cleaning up spills and chasing down containers. I don't mind having to prepare part of the snack if it's for a planned in advance trip, but sometimes when we need to go, we need to go! I just want to grab something and be done. Whenever possible I try to choose something healthy over something processed or sugary.

key2ynot
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM

For our on the go snacks, I look for something that is easily packaged, with minimal waste (less trash to get lost in the minivan! lol)  I prefer snacks that are healthy - we don't usually snack on unhealthy things at home, and I hate when we have to resort to something less than ideal just because we are on the go. 

I'm a big fan of snacks that I can leave in the car/diaper bag as well so that they are always handy when I need them.  We always pack snacks for car trips and whatnot, but it's handy to be able to pull something out to appease the masses when waiting for an appt runs long or something. 

robibuni
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Healthy and portable are the first things we look for when it comes to snacks as we tend to be spontaneous (especially on weekends when DH is home).

If we're on the go, I don't want to be forced to get something not so healthy for the kids, but don't always want to pack fruit as it can go bad easily. Furthermore, on a lot of our outings, we can't have something super messy so that limits our options. And with a 22 month old, non-messy snacks are important since she can get dirty in no time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN