Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM
  • 11 Replies

Last night my 5 year old DD woke up with a little fever. Today DH, DD and myself all felt cruddy --- and DD just threw up! The stomach bug has been going around my town for about 2 months, but I thought we had missed it. No dice! So my question is: what are your best tips and tricks for dealing with sickness when the whole family is out of commission? 

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Lots of fluids and rest. Maybe quiet games or tv

abra
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I am trying to stay off my feet as much as possible, we've got 7-up, juice, soup and pixar!

Quoting othermom:

Lots of fluids and rest. Maybe quiet games or tv

AlannaMaria
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM
My DS just got over being sick. He was running a fever the last couple days. The best thing is rest, fluids, fresh air. Hope you all feel better soon.
mnmo3bb
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Activated charcoal is good for tummy illnesses, it at least seems to prevent diarrhea too.

virginiamama71
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM

how does this work?

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Activated charcoal is good for tummy illnesses, it at least seems to prevent diarrhea too.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM

DH and I try to do the best that we can.  Whoever feels able to do, will normally will do it.  If we are all down, normally, DH will call his mom and she will bring over a big pot of chicken soup for us and we normally try to sleep and keep hydrated.

Angela4boys
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:18 PM
I haven't tried it, but I have several friends who have tried the 100% Concord grape juice to prevent the spread of tummy bugs when someone in the house falls ill, and it has worked!! We have been so lucky and haven't been sick at all, thank goodness!
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Just fluids and rest. Get well soon you all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessAsmommy
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM
It has only happened once where we were all down or feeling off. But when we have an adult sick as well as a kid we stock up on juice, gingerale, peppermint tea, ice, soups, gravol, tylenol, kleenex, and a sweet treat like frozen yogurt. Then the kids either stay in bed or on the couch and if the healthy adult can stay home the sick one has a day in bed too. Otherwise it's naps, tv, and go slow slow slow.
mnmo3bb
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I'm told (but have not verifed) that it is what they give someone at the ER when they come in for an overdose. It absorbs the toxins. So you shouldn't take it within like 2 or 4 hours of taking vitamins or you won't benefit from the vitamins. I've heard people say they take it when they feel food poisoning coming on or the first sign of any stomach issues. In our house, I use it when we have the stomach "flu" and it seems to shorten it and this last go around no one even got diarrhea which seems to come after vomiting.

Quoting virginiamama71:

how does this work?

Quoting mnmo3bb:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)