Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

13 Essentials to Always Have in Your Car

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 63 Replies

As I've mentioned before, I live in New York City. Though many folks who live in the Big Apple own a car, we actually don't have a family vehicle. How do we get around? We walk a lot, hop on the city's speedy subways and buses, or take the occasional taxi ride.

For Christmas, my sis gave me this awesome umbrella bag that fits a small umbrella and is lined with a towel-like material so I can put a wet umbrella in my bag without getting everything else wet. She knows my tote bag is like her car's backseat-trunk, where we both toss everything we need as we maneuver around our worlds.

It's funny, as for a holiday gift a few years ago, I got my sister and my parents all seat-belt cutter/window smashers to keep in their cars. They all drive a lot, often many long trips a day to neighboring towns. I'm always reminding them to drive carefully. Part of being safe means stocking up that car with some essentials. Some will be used maybe every day, others during certain weather issues and, yes, still others in those emergency situations.

We get so caught up in other Life Things, take a minute and think about what you do (and don't) have in your minivan:  

-- Flashlight and extra batteries

-- Insurance and registration papers

-- Pad of paper and a pen (to use to write down vital information after a wreck or just what you may need to remember to pick up from the store)

-- Kleenex and paper towels

-- Wipes

-- Cash (tuck a $20 into the glove compartment in case of emergencies)

-- Umbrella

-- Seatbelt cutter/windshield glass breaker

-- Water and extra food (a few granola bars or packages of dried fruit)

-- Blanket (for everything from sitting on rain-soaked soccer benches to keeping kiddos warm during a car trip that was longer than you planned)

-- Spare tire and jack

-- Jumper cables

-- Small first aid kit

What's missing from this list? Do you have all of these in your car? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/valentinarr 

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:10 AM
I have all of those but the cash, I think that is a great idea! Thanks Heather!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:02 AM

I don't have the belt cutter/windshield breaker! I really need to get one, because now I'll have anxiety over it until I do. =/

psych_mom
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:28 AM

I don't have all those things in my car, but I guess I should start slowly adding them. I do have to say though when we were hit by the deer it was very convient to be able to pull up my insurance paperwork on my phone.

michiganmom116
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM

To me, that's a lot of clutter in my car, clutter that can be thrown around during an accident...and a flashlight or bottle of water can cause some serious injuries.  We only keep what can fit in the glove box:  insurance/registration, seat belt cutter, a few napkins, pen.

Spare tire and jack is already tucked away in its own nook, along with jumper cables.

elasmimi
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Me too!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I don't have the belt cutter/windshield breaker! I really need to get one, because now I'll have anxiety over it until I do. =/

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Yesterday at 4:52 PM
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I was thinking the same thing!

goddess99
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Sun block, band aids, bug spray.

lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Good list!

TerriC
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

We have pretty much all of that in our vehicle.  We also have an extra outfit for each kid, just in case.  We change them out seasonally and as they grow.

RobynS
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I don't have all of those in my car--maybe half. I will have to add a few things! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)