Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easy Desserts to Say "Be Mine"

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

Whenever I think of Valentine's Day, I think of going to the store and selecting which box of cards I would pass out at school... the Snoopy ones or the Garfield ones. I'd sit in front of the TV and address one for each bud. Now? Kiddo makes her own little cards (as part of homework) and writes a note inside for each of her fellow classmates (they are studying letter-writing). Meanwhile, she's begging for me to make some special goodies to munch on as she does this artistic Cupid-eque task.

My first idea: getting some premade sugar cookie dough and, using some heart-shaped cookie cutters and white icing, creating a platter of sugary love. Thinking outside the box, I may get cutters in the letters L-O-V-E. Cookies are always a hit, right? But, then I stumbled onto two chocolate recipes that seem so ohsosimple that I may have to tackle them.

Now, if they were only calorie-free, they'd be perfect.

Easiest Fudge from Busycooks.About.com

What you need:

1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon cream

1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, if desired

What you do:

Place chips and milk in microwave safe bowl. (You can use just the one package of semisweet chocolate chips, or add the milk chocolate chips for a fudge that is slightly sweeter and creamier.) Microwave on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Microwave, stirring at 1 minutes intervals, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth and thick. Stir in butter and cream until combined. Pour into greased 8" square pan and cool. Then cut into squares to serve!

Cocoa Espresso Truffles from AlwaysOrderDessert.com

What you need:

2 cups Heavy Cream

2 tablespoons instant espresso

16 ounces bittersweet chocolate between 60 and 70 percent cacao, chopped

Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting

What you do:

Place the chopped chocolate in a large glass bowl. In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, heat the cream until it just starts to steam and bubble slightly on the edges. (Do not let it boil). Remove from the heat immediately and quickly stir in the instant espresso until it dissolves. Pour the hot cream and espresso mixture over the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the chocolate is incorporated into the cream (it'll take a few stirs until it's really all uniform and slightly creamy). Let the ganache cool to room temperature and then place in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours until it is completely cold and firm. Use a melon baller or small ice cream scoop to scoop 1 tablespoon sized balls of ganache. Use your hands (dusted with cocoa powder first) to quickly shape them. Don't worry if they aren't perfect; they're supposed to look a little rustic. Set these on a lined baking sheet until you use up all the ganache. If it starts to soften a bit, just pop it into the fridge for 5 minutes before continuing. Roll each truffle in cocoa powder (chopped nuts, shredded coconut, confectioner's sugar, or a blend of cinnamon and sugar also work!). Serve immediately or store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.

What sweets are you making for your Valentines?

ŠiStockphoto.com/edcorbo 

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:51 AM

I am not making any this year. We were supposed to be moving this week and we have a bad snow and ice storm headed our way.

michiganmom116
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 6:12 AM

Those truffles sound amazing!

We don't do anything for Valentine's Day, and I don't plan on making any treats.

elasmimi
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I will be baking my hubby's favorite cake, which is really pretty boring, just a plain yellow cake with chocolate iceing.

lalasmama2007
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I may bake a cake.

jen113000
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM
I was thinking of baking a cake. But not sure yet.
Flaca43
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM
I like the fudge idea! I made a couple batches for Christmas and everyone loved it. I think I'll make some for Valentine's Day! I'm also making DF some of my Peanut Butter cookies, he loves them.
arpazia
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Those are cute!
I'm not, I think I'll just buy Reese's and throw them at dh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:09 AM

DH loves anything with peanut butter and has asked me to make him Buckeyes.

TerriC
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM

LOL!!!!!

Quoting arpazia: Those are cute!
I'm not, I think I'll just buy Reese's and throw them at dh

jessicasmom1
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM

ohhh these sound good thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)