Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 Biggest Organizing Mistakes #3

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

By Lorie Marrero, RunPhoto

Mistake 3: Buying organizing products before you know what you need

People often channel their decluttering motivation into a trip to their favorite store to stock up on storage bins and other organizing products. As a professional organizer, I have seen many well-intentioned purchases become additional clutter. The better approach? Wade into your project first, find out what you need, and make a shopping list. Always write down measurements (and take a small tape measure with you to the store) to avoid purchasing mistakes.

Have you made the mistake of buying products before you have a plan for them?

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I have been guilty of this!

MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM
DH says I have an addiction to bins & dont need to buy them just cuz they are on sale lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Yes, I have.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I have in the past. I'm more careful now.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I do that ALL the time! I see cute matching boxes or containers and when I try to put the things in them, it just doesn't work. I also have a way of buying way more than I need. I sort of "upgrade" my storage supplies to make it prettier!

earthangel1967
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Nope never have done that.. I won't buy something unless I know the exact use for it and where it will go first.  Todd doesn't  either. 

Also when we downsized from BIG family house to 495 sq ft apt (with big closets though ) the  little bit of stuff we did keep (not a lot) I organized and sorted into piles on the floor when I first moved in so I could accurately see how many and what proper SIZE if organizers I needed to keep them in first .. THEN we went to store and got exactly and ONLY what we needed to home them properly and neatly. : )

View Full Size Image YVONNE

ScrChk23
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I have in the past, but I realized what a mistake it was.  I try to make a plan and use the containers I already have to organize 'stuff' before I buy new ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)