Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Best (and Fastest) Pick-Me-Ups for Those Kind of Days

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

Between the weeks of toe-numbing chills via the Polar Vortex (who I have now dubbed Moriarty ala the villain from the Sherlock Holmes universe) and the endless days of snow and the resulting four-foot lagoons of slush at every street corner we must cross to get to school, I am officially OVER winter here in NYC. One would think I'd be able to look at it as if we were living in Frozen and just "Let It Go" and embrace these dreary days. But I have not. I have fallen into the Winter Doldrums.

Perhaps when you are in Day 23 of battling the Winter Doldrums or just having a day with a lot of annoying little things that then add up to one big not-so-fabulous feeling inside, a pick-me-up is in order. Yet, true to form when having one of those days, you don't have a few hours to nap or go to the movies to do a proper pick-me-up. Oh no, you have just, perhaps, a few minutes, let's say 17 precious minutes, to try to turn it around. What do you do? Maybe you try one of these fast cure-alls for a low-energy, blue mood.

-- Jumping jacks or hula-hooping or anything that moves your body. It's been proven over and over again: getting that heart rate up improves the mood of basically everyone. Maybe you can't hit the gym, but doing some old school PE moves in your living room is a must.

-- Drink some water. Most of us are dehydrated most of the time -- and dehydration can cause super low moods and energy levels. Downing a big glass of water can at least take care of that mood-buster culprit.

-- Sniff a lemon. Yup, the smell of lemons adds a bit of a lift to our emotional state and our energy level. Who knew?

-- Turn on some upbeat tunes. If music can calm a savage beast, it can also get you into a happy place. Put on one of those great dance tunes from your high school days or Pharrell's "Happy." Doesn't matter if it is Barry Manilow or Lady Gaga, get some music pumping to pump you up.

-- Force a laugh. Okay, so you may not feel like laughing, but try to get yourself into it. Google some funny cat videos, watch old bloopers from movies or the latest Jimmy Fallon-Justin Timberlake skit on You Tube...whatever you think will help probably will!

-- Have a little chocolate. Again, I love it when studies tell me to do something because it is good for me, and I already want to do it. A little chocolate not only gives a bit of a sugar high, it boosts the level of that stuff in our brain that triggers good, happy feelings (the key here: just don't overdo it).

Share your best pick-me-ups for when we are having those kind of days! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Prill Mediendesign & Fotografie

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Love these tips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Good tips!

Me?  I just stay busy to keep my mind off the depressing weather.  I've always got something to do.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Your outlook is everything...especially in this weather! Coffee picks me up in the morning and thru out the day I do something I consider fun.

louannwilkins
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM

music helps me a lot.  thanks for the tips!!   :)

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM

A nice hot cup of tea, coffee or cocoa.

MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too!

Quoting louannwilkins:

music helps me a lot.  thanks for the tips!!   :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Thanks for the tips Heather!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Good tips.. 

My favorites are:  

A cup of coffee YUM! 

Sex!  It's a free mood booster:  When both men and women orgasm, oxytocin (a.k.a. the "love hormone") is released, which tends to lead to feelings often described as happiness. This free brain chemical calms anxiety and fear and increases trust and contentment. Positive interaction with friends and family increases the chemical somewhat, self-arousal even more so and sex with a partner you care about tops the list. 

3. Open the  windows! Fresh air and sunlight and in our case putting animal food outside sliding glass doors and a variety of adorable animals come up on our patio is a big mood lifter and so is the beautiful view and fresh  air. 

4. Swimming So FUN! 

5. Self hypnosis for motivation (free on youtube- choose recording 15 min or longer)

View Full Size Image YVONNE

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:07 AM
MMMM Cocoa.

Quoting SweetLuci:

A nice hot cup of tea, coffee or cocoa.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

When I am having one of those days I like to look at room designs or work on designs for my rooms. Interior decorating and design is my passion so I always find it to be fun to work on something in that area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN