Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Best (and Fastest) Pick-Me-Ups for Those Kind of Days

Posted by   + Show Post

Between the weeks of toe-numbing chills via the Polar Vortex (who I have now dubbed Moriarty ala the villain from the Sherlock Holmes universe) and the endless days of snow and the resulting four-foot lagoons of slush at every street corner we must cross to get to school, I am officially OVER winter here in NYC. One would think I'd be able to look at it as if we were living in Frozen and just "Let It Go" and embrace these dreary days. But I have not. I have fallen into the Winter Doldrums.

Perhaps when you are in Day 23 of battling the Winter Doldrums or just having a day with a lot of annoying little things that then add up to one big not-so-fabulous feeling inside, a pick-me-up is in order. Yet, true to form when having one of those days, you don't have a few hours to nap or go to the movies to do a proper pick-me-up. Oh no, you have just, perhaps, a few minutes, let's say 17 precious minutes, to try to turn it around. What do you do? Maybe you try one of these fast cure-alls for a low-energy, blue mood.

-- Jumping jacks or hula-hooping or anything that moves your body. It's been proven over and over again: getting that heart rate up improves the mood of basically everyone. Maybe you can't hit the gym, but doing some old school PE moves in your living room is a must.

-- Drink some water. Most of us are dehydrated most of the time -- and dehydration can cause super low moods and energy levels. Downing a big glass of water can at least take care of that mood-buster culprit.

-- Sniff a lemon. Yup, the smell of lemons adds a bit of a lift to our emotional state and our energy level. Who knew?

-- Turn on some upbeat tunes. If music can calm a savage beast, it can also get you into a happy place. Put on one of those great dance tunes from your high school days or Pharrell's "Happy." Doesn't matter if it is Barry Manilow or Lady Gaga, get some music pumping to pump you up.

-- Force a laugh. Okay, so you may not feel like laughing, but try to get yourself into it. Google some funny cat videos, watch old bloopers from movies or the latest Jimmy Fallon-Justin Timberlake skit on You Tube...whatever you think will help probably will!

-- Have a little chocolate. Again, I love it when studies tell me to do something because it is good for me, and I already want to do it. A little chocolate not only gives a bit of a sugar high, it boosts the level of that stuff in our brain that triggers good, happy feelings (the key here: just don't overdo it).

Share your best pick-me-ups for when we are having those kind of days! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Prill Mediendesign & Fotografie

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Working on something you're passionate about truly takes keeps you motivated.

Quoting psych_mom:

When I am having one of those days I like to look at room designs or work on designs for my rooms. Interior decorating and design is my passion so I always find it to be fun to work on something in that area.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM

That's a good idea.

Quoting johnny4ever:

Look at pictures!

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM

All good ideas!

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I watch a movie, work on crafts, shop online, hang out on CM, etc.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see you now!

Quoting mamamiajk:

My best pick me up on those kinds of days is to turn on some of my favorite tunes,crank up the voluum and just start dancing! lol Works for me.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM

That sounds good!

Quoting krys1025: I make a fire and have some hot chai tea or hot cocoa

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Never thought of that!

Quoting elasmimi:

A shower. Always makes me feel better, even if I had one that am.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Like the lemon idea!

Talking to a friend is always a help to me.

Quoting mamavalor:

I totally agree with the lemon.  I have a small container of the Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle cream that I carry around with me all the time.  When I want a little pick me up I take it out and spread some on my hands and rub just a tiny bit under my nose.  Smells so yummy!

Talk to a good friend, even if it is only for 5 minutes.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Good ideas!

Quoting RobynS:

Music is a big one for me (which usually prompts some freestyle dancing of some sort! LOL).

Also chocolate (the darker the better) and I agree with forcing a laugh--or at least a smile. Closing my eyes, taking a deep breath, and thinking about something smile-worthy is always good.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Oh yes! Wish mine wer still little enough to snuggle with!

Quoting ScrChk23:

Snuggling with the boys

Vertical15
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM

These are great!  TFS!  Getting moving.  Thats my way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)