Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you swim?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM
  • 26 Replies

And how did you learn? 

Our children take swimming lessons twice a year, each time for six weeks, from the time they turn five years old. They're pretty pricey, even with the discount for having multiple children in the class.

I learned to swim when I was seven or eight. My father took us to the local pool and threw me in. It was very traumatic, actually, and not funny at all, even though he thought it was hilarious, but I did learn to swim. If there is ANYTHING positive to be said for his method it would be that it was cheap. ;)

by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Yes and I learned by watching everyone else.

DACIA79
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I can not swim and my mother had a pool plus I went to swim camp so that's ridiculous on my part.

My kids take lessons at the YMCA 

michiganmom116
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

I took swimming lessons.  I made sure my kids had swimming lessons, too.  (they're better swimmers than I am, though)

mumsy2three
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I can swim. I took swimming lessons starting when I was 5. My kids have all taken lessons too.

VintageWife
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM

No :/

sara_7106
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Yes. Lots of swimming as a kid and swimming lessons
ScrChk23
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Sure can. My parents taught us.  I think we took lessons at the YMCA, but I am not exactly sure.  We are teaching our boys to swim.

campingmomof4
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Yes I can swim.   Had swimming lessons as a kid.  We had a pool and also went to the public pool every day in the summer. 

I taught all my kids how to swim.   We had a pool in our back yard until last summer. 

mamamiajk
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Like a fish! lol I was so young I really couldn't say exactly what age I was. My mom didn't swim but my dad did and he made sure he taught us how to. The first was holding your breath underwater and advancing from there. We always camped and were around water and I loved it! We in turn taught our kids so we didn't have to worry so much and they all love it too. As far as the price of lessons goes they are worth every penny.

Vertical15
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I don't remember learning.  We went to the beach every year growing up for vacation and spent time at pools and camping at places with pools.  I just don't know how I officially learned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)