Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please introduce yourself here

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 163 Total Views

My name is Nancy, and I have been diagnosed almost three years ago with Celiac.  How long I've had this issue, I have no idea because I never had symptoms.  I found out through an endoscopy for a different health problem.  Imagine my surprise when my doctor told me I had Celiac.  Since being told I need to go on a gluten free diet ASAP, I've learned a lot about Celiac.  I have two adult children, a son and daughter.  My daughter has classic symptoms and has fought the aspect of going gluten free.  After being sick and tired of being sick and tired, she has finally realized she needs to watch her diet if she wants to feel better.  She's my canary going into the mine so to speak because since she has reactions and I don't, she's my indicator of what to avoid lol.  My son has no symptoms and has talked about being checked....still waiting.  I have found out, it's not the end of the world to go gluten free.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Lullababy
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Hi Nancy, I'm talli. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago but suspected almost 10. I've always been sickly :/ all of my children have had varying symptoms and five had genetic testing, the sixth wasn't born yet. All have tested positive for the genes and while at home are gf but my teens will be sneaky and eat it when out and about. My 14 yr old can have immediate symptoms but my 16 yr old is more with his mental state. Or home is completely gf and my husband eats gf around us and at home. I try to limit my carbs/grains as much as possible but not always successful. Guess I'm rambling.... Thanks for starting this group.
big_sky
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi talli, it's nice meeting you, and thank you for joining Celiac Mama's!  Feel free to share anything you want concerning Celiac, your kids, recipes, etc.  I know this group is small now, but I'm hoping more will come and join.  I truly believe it is needed because it isn't talked about much, or because people just don't know about it. 

My son and daughter are now adults with little ones of their own.  We're not sure if our son, 35 has Celiac, but defintiely know our daughter, 32 does.  A few years ago, she was having a lot of stomach issues and we couldn't figure out what her problem was.  Her doctor finall diagnosed her as having IBS.  Shortly after that, I had gone in for an endoscopy, and as I said, this is when I found out I had Celiac Disease.  I've heard of it, but since it didn't concern me at that time, I never worried about it.  I started doing some research and found out that a lot of symptsom my daughter was having were text book symptoms.  I kept telling her I was for sure that her problem was Celiac.  After being in denial, thinking she could eat whatever she wanted to eat, she finally accepted the fact that she does have this problem.  She used to be able to eat things with wheat a little during the day and it wouldn't bother her.  Now, she's gotten to the point where if she has just a little of it she's sick. 

I'm so sorry to hear your kiddos have this as well.  I can't imagine how it would be to have to watch over what they eat all the time.  And then when they go off and eat what their friends eat and then they get sick.  They don't want to be different, they want to be like their friends.  All you can do is the best you can as far as being gluten free as much as possible.  We're not all the way gf in my house, as my husband enjoys his cookies and snack stuff, but when it's meal time it's all gf, of course.

Don't feel like you're rambling.  We are with a condition that a lot of people don't understand because they don't have the problems we have.  Since I have no symptoms, I even feel weird saying I have Celiac because I never get sick.  Anyway, again, it is nice having you here and please, make yourself at home. =) 

panther79
by New Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Hello. My middle son who is also a type one diabetic was just diagnosed with Celiac a few weeks ago. It's been interesting finding stuff that he not only can eat but will eat. Both of these diagnoses have come within less than a year. 

big_sky
by Group Owner on Feb. 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Hello Panther, and welcome to Celiac Mamas!  As you can see, our group is just starting out, but I hope with time it can grow and more will join and have interesting things to share.  I am so sorry to hear your son not only has to deal with Celiac Disease, but also Type 1 Diabetes.  That is such a hard thing for a young kid to have.  How old is he?  It's bad enough to have to eat gluten free, but also watch all the carbs and sugar too.  I found a website that talks about having Type 1 Diabetes and Celiac, I'll post the link here for you in case you haven't seen this.  There is also a magazine that they show you can subscribe to that gives you access to many recipes.  Maybe this will be of some help for you. 

http://www.livingwithout.com/issues/4_20/celiac_disease_diabetes_type_1-2889-1.html

I wish the very best for your son and you on this journey, and hope you can find solutions to help make things easier for him.  I'm hoping to see more of you on Celiac Mamas, and I hope this group will be of some help to you.  Take care.  

countrygirl06
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Hi I'm Amy, my husband was recently diagnosed with Celiac, our three kids haven't shown any symptoms yet but I am having a hard time finding recipes that the kids will eat. I have very limited acess to stuff here and trying to do it on a tight budget in a tiny kitchen on what time I do have is wearing me out ! Any help or advice would be appriciated thanks !

big_sky
by Group Owner on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Hi Amy, nice to meet you!  I have started a recipe forum here and have a few recipes started.  As soon as I get more time, I'll add more, and anyone is welcome to do the same.  Kids like chicken tenders, I have a recipe called Chicken Fingers lol, something like that.  Anyway, it's a pretty easy, quick recipe.  I also have one for sweet and sour chicken, can't tell you off hand if it's quick and easy.  I'll  be scouting around and add more as time goes.  =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)