Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Itinerant Hearing Teacher/Coach

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 193 Total Views

Do your children that have hearing loss have an Itinerant Hearing Teacher/Coach assigned to them in school or through their IEP?  My daughter has had one for 4.5 years now who is cancelling services as she feels my daughter has not made adequate progress.  Honestly, the one we have I do not find effective, however if the services is needed for my daughter to expand, I'm not sure how they can cancel.  My daughter has zero modes of communication at age 5.5 and is going into kinder next year.  Do any of your kids have one?  What do they do with them?

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mommy2justone
by Group Owner on Mar. 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Wow, I am so sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with that. 
My son is only 1 and we have  a large Deaf school near us that he will be attending.

So is it like an interpreter? Or more of an Aid that helps her in class?  

Momof4AEMW
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM

She is to kind of help my daughter learn to keep her hearing aids in for longer periods of time (as she hates them) and learn to use her hearing, develop her hearing, recogonize and turn towards sounds.  So maybe more sounds will get back in, and maybe someday language and communication will come.  She's 5.5 with no communication and does not sign more than 5 things.   

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Wow, I am so sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with that. My son is only 1 and we have  a large Deaf school near us that he will be attending.

Mommy2justone
by Group Owner on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I don't understand why they would take something away from her that could help her. Do they have a certain time limit for them to learn a certain amount? That seems very unfair to me.  

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

She is to kind of help my daughter learn to keep her hearing aids in for longer periods of time (as she hates them) and learn to use her hearing, develop her hearing, recogonize and turn towards sounds.  So maybe more sounds will get back in, and maybe someday language and communication will come.  She's 5.5 with no communication and does not sign more than 5 things.   

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Wow, I am so sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with that. My son is only 1 and we have  a large Deaf school near us that he will be attending.

Momof4AEMW
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM

She's had my daughter for 4.5 years and says no progress, so not to continue.  Well, she's rang the same bell at my daughter's ears for 4.5 years. could you try something new lady?  My daughter does not develope quickly and has lots of delays beyond her hearing, so progress is slow.  But it doesn't mean she might not take off this year, or sometime, and then the services won't be there! 

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I don't understand why they would take something away from her that could help her. Do they have a certain time limit for them to learn a certain amount? That seems very unfair to me.  

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Mommy2justone
by Group Owner on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Wow. That is just sad. Can you request a new person? 
I know with our early intervention program they don't do anything for them after they turn 3.  

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

She's had my daughter for 4.5 years and says no progress, so not to continue.  Well, she's rang the same bell at my daughter's ears for 4.5 years. could you try something new lady?  My daughter does not develope quickly and has lots of delays beyond her hearing, so progress is slow.  But it doesn't mean she might not take off this year, or sometime, and then the services won't be there! 

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Momof4AEMW
by New Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM

She will be at a new school next year, but it would be the same interant hearing person if they had stayed on her IEP services. 

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Wow. That is just sad. Can you request a new person? I know with our early intervention program they don't do anything for them after they turn 3.  

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)