Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be concerned?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 258 Total Views
DD is all about having fun. When she doesn't listen, 99% of the time it's because she wanted to have fun, and she was bored. This morning, she said she didn't want to go to college because she wants to have fun.

Should I be concerned? I was hoping starting school would be a great time for all of us, but it's proving to be anything but :( how can I change her attitude towards school?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tramcd
by Aiden's Mommy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Is she not being challenged enough or does she just not want to do what they are suppose to be doing? I would try to find some topic she is interested in and see if you can do some fun learning projects around them that might interest her.

UnAmour
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I asked her tonight what she finds fun at school, he reply was "recess". I asked in the classroom, what does she find fun, her reply "inside recess." I asked her if she finds learning fun, and she said no. I asked her why not, and she said because it's boring. I asked her if she found it boring because it is difficult, and she said yes. 

From what I've observed, the one thing she is really struggling with is reading. She does great with letters and their sounds individually, however when it comes to sounding out a word or spelling, she REALLY struggles, and gets super frustrated with herself. Could this be effecting her whole outlook?

I try to make reading fun, we read together every night, and I make her read some to me, sounding out words. I let her play online games for about a half hour each night, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm thinking about getting hooked on phonics, but I'm worried I'll spend the money, and she STILL won't want to do it. 

OliviaW.
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Her getting frustrated can effect her outlook at school. Have you talked with her teacher? Maybe he/she can give you some ideas on how to make reading easier on her. My kids respond well to songs and rhymes but not all do. 

Quoting UnAmour:

I asked her tonight what she finds fun at school, he reply was "recess". I asked in the classroom, what does she find fun, her reply "inside recess." I asked her if she finds learning fun, and she said no. I asked her why not, and she said because it's boring. I asked her if she found it boring because it is difficult, and she said yes. 

From what I've observed, the one thing she is really struggling with is reading. She does great with letters and their sounds individually, however when it comes to sounding out a word or spelling, she REALLY struggles, and gets super frustrated with herself. Could this be effecting her whole outlook?

I try to make reading fun, we read together every night, and I make her read some to me, sounding out words. I let her play online games for about a half hour each night, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm thinking about getting hooked on phonics, but I'm worried I'll spend the money, and she STILL won't want to do it. 

Sigmalade
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I would volunteer in her class. Since she likes recess, when you are  home with her incorporate recess with learning. Run bases and call out the alphabet, read a sentence-shot a basket, go on a nature walk and talk about leaves, do a sensory bin with pumpkin guts and place laminated shapes, sight words, numbers inside for her to find. Try different sites and research tips for home and school. Ds loves those bingo markers. He will search for sight words all night if you have enough sheets. Get some ideas from the teacher. Does she have a favorite outside sport or activity? Tell her if she improves in school, that will be her treat. Yes, people say bribing children is wrong, but something to show them there are rewards and consequences for actions. Once you find what makes her tick, learning will be fun. You will just have to center it around her interest and branch out from there. Good luck!

UnAmour
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I have conferences next Tuesday, and definitely plan on talking to the teacher about this, among other things. I've noticed her just the last couple days sounding words out and writing them. Although they are not correct (she spelt "awesome" "osum") I'm am so glad to see her trying. She LOVES to write, so maybe if I incorporate that somehow? 

Sigmalade
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Yes! If she loves writing, I would find a way to do that with some fun activities. For short words, get a cookie sheet and some letters to have her spell them out. My friend did shaving cream or something with students that she tutored. Ds loves his whiteboard. That was the best thing we ever purchased! At first he just wanted to draw, which helped him too, but now he is all about sounds and writing them down. Do a nature walk hunt and have her write down what she sees-acorn, hay, tree, then collect the items and make a fall mobile or picture out of them. I just saw an idea with glue and cotton swabs to make words and pictures. I may have to think about trying that with ds because he LOVES glue! Good luck!

Quoting UnAmour:

I have conferences next Tuesday, and definitely plan on talking to the teacher about this, among other things. I've noticed her just the last couple days sounding words out and writing them. Although they are not correct (she spelt "awesome" "osum") I'm am so glad to see her trying. She LOVES to write, so maybe if I incorporate that somehow? 

Crissy2424
by Shauna's Mom on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I think it is just the typical age. I would talk to her teacher. See what she actually has fun doing or what she is having a hard time with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)