Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Slimming Soups

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 217 Total Views
1 mom liked this

5 Slimming Soups

By Toby Amidor

5 Slimming Soups

With the right combo of healthy ingredients and a low-calorie stock or broth, soup can be a delicious way to get many good-for-you nutrients without packing on the pounds. Here are five slimming soups to choose from.

Slow-Cooker Bean and Barley Soup (pictured above)
Toss beans, barley, spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes, along with seasonings, in your slow cooker, and voila! In eight hours you have a meal for four, plus leftovers to freeze.

Apply for Student Loan Forgiveness: (800) 380-8933
Student Payment Relief Sponsored

Chicken and Quinoa Soup
Get a double protein-packed punch from chicken and quinoa in this bowl of heaven. Complemented with broccoli, carrots and onions, it’s a meal on its own.

Mushroom-Hummus Soup
Thicken this soup in a creative way: Stir hummus into the chicken broth. Add low-calorie cremini mushrooms with a handful of flavor-enhancing ingredients for a soup that clocks in at about 250 calories per serving.

Healthified Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
Thick and creamy soup can be healthy! Here chicken broth is thickened with flour and fat-free evaporated milk. Serve it with a turkey sandwich or green salad for a complete meal.

2015 Best Wrinkle Cream
Perfect Age Sponsored

Turkey, Kale and Brown Rice Soup
This meal in a bowl has three food groups — whole grains, lean protein and veggies — all for 340 calories and a whopping 27 grams of protein .

Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. She is the author of The Greek Yogurt Kitchen: More Than 130 Delicious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Day.

More from Food Network: 

8 Healthy-Sounding Foods That Really Aren’t

What Does 100 Calories Look Like?

Healthy Slow-Cooker Recipes

11 Ways to Get More Fiber in Your Diet 

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
BirdofaFeather
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:20 AM

I am curious about the mushroom and hummus soup. I may have to try that one. They all sound good.

MissMackiesgg
by Bobbi Owner on Mar. 17, 2015 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Not fond of hummis. You will have to let me know how it turns out. I have a friend who loves it.

Quoting BirdofaFeather:

I am curious about the mushroom and hummus soup. I may have to try that one. They all sound good.

Jazmine1950
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:59 PM

The brocolli-chedder soup sounds good to me. 

MissMackiesgg
by Bobbi Owner on Mar. 18, 2015 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I love broccoli cheddar and cauliflower too.

Quoting Jazmine1950:

The brocolli-chedder soup sounds good to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)