• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SLOW COOKER POTATO CHEESE SOUP

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:04 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 96 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I love cooking, but after the holidays are over I’m always a little burned out on food preparation. This time of year, my favorite recipes are the ones I can dump into a slow cooker and forget for eight hours. This soup has a rich flavor and lovely creamy texture but takes only a few minutes to throw together.
Soups that involve potatoes and cheese often blend them together, but this one, modeled after my mom’s Creamy Cheddar Chowder, keeps them separate, suspending tender chunks of potato in a creamy cheese broth. Parmesan slow cooks, lending its flavor to the broth, while cheddar and cream added at the end add creamy, melty goodness.

COOKTOP COVE

SLOW COOKER POTATO CHEESE SOUP

10 MINUTES

8 HOURS

8 HOURS, 10 MINUTES
2 pounds russet potato peeled, quartered then thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup (30 g) flour
2 teaspoon (1 g) dried thyme
1½ teaspoon (7 g) salt
½ teaspoon (1 g) white pepper
⅓ parmesan powdered
2 quarts water
½ cup (60 ml) cream
2¼ cups (125 g) cheddar cheese, divided
In a 6-quart slow cooker, toss potatoes with garlic, flour, thyme, parmesan, salt and pepper. Add water and stir.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Just before serving, add in cream and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Using an emersion blender, blend slightly to break up potatoes. (You can also use a potato masher instead of a regular blender). Serve with additional cheddar, fresh herbs, and crusty bread.
Tip: This soups thick texture and rustic flavor are perfect for serving in bread bowls. Cut the top (about ½ thick) off 4 small round sourdough boules. Scoop out the center, leaving a 1 thick wall on all sides; toast in a 350° oven for 10 minutes. Then ladle soup into hollows and serve.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
SissyAnn141
by SissyAnn on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:07 AM

BUMP!

Alieda
by Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:32 AM

yummy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)