Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Sleepless in Los Angeles

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

New moms often complain of being tired. Dealing with some sort of sleep deprivation is like a right of passage.

My first child slept like a dream. He started sleeping through the night at about 3 months. This is not the case for my second son. He's now 10 months old and no one has gotten a decent night's sleep since he arrived. Good thing he's cute!

But I've tried to make the best out of my sleepless hours by catching up on things that are important to me. I've listened to a few good books on tape. I also had a chance to write those thank you notes for all the new baby gifts we received.

But by far the best thing I've done is work out a small yoga routine. Just a few moves that relieve stress and put me back in the mood to go back to sleep. I know, it must sound crazy that I'm in my living room doing yoga at 3:30 in the morning. But trust me, this is something that I enjoy and it makes me feel good.

I do try to catch a nap in the day when my baby takes his mid morning nap and my older son is in preschool. People will always tell you to try and nap when the baby naps. Do it. Those dishes can wait.

I'm not sweating the sleepless nights quite yet. Yes, I'm tired but I know from experience that these days will not last long.

Moms, what do you do when your baby just won't get to sleep in the middle of the night?

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My babies usually woke up only to breastfeed, so I'd just sit in my gliding rocker with them and nurse until they went back to sleep.

I learned to keep nighttime very very boring.  I never spoke to my babies at night or really interacted with them at all.  Never turned on lights or anything . . .

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM

My children only ever woke up to eat. I handled it by getting in a comfortable position to nurse baby.

Leelee1008
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM

honestly I got lucky with my kids and all 3 were really good sleepers. they all slept through the night from about 2 weeks to 1 month.. And when they did wake, they ate and went right back to sleep

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM
I try to remember that there will be a day when I wish my kids were around to spend time with me. It's a short time to "suffer" through and really no biggie in the grand scheme of things.
ceciliam
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I watched endless hours of night time tv.

RobynS
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

What did I do? You mean, besides cry?! LOL

I just powered through it, I guess. Sure wish I'd thought of doing yoga. Of course, I'd never done yoga back then, so I didn't know any of the poses nor did I have any idea how much I'd like it.

delanna6two
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I was always up and down for feeds with BF....I napped in between feeds.

aneela
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM

thankfully after being nursed he would fall back asleep...didn't have any ongoing sleep issues past that

Apr1l
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Yep exactly

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

My babies usually woke up only to breastfeed, so I'd just sit in my gliding rocker with them and nurse until they went back to sleep.

I learned to keep nighttime very very boring.  I never spoke to my babies at night or really interacted with them at all.  Never turned on lights or anything . . .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM

My daughter only woke to just be fed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement