Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm Not a Pillow

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 91 Replies
4 moms liked this

Once upon a time I was an athlete. I wasn’t an especially good athlete but I did my fair share of 5K races and sprint triathlons. I worked out more days than I didn’t and my yoga pants were actually worn to yoga classes.

And then I had kids (Miles, age 6, and Evelyn, who just turned 2).

And then I moved cross country for a big new job (goodbye Arizona, hello Iowa!).

And then I started grad school (I’ll be “Dr. Wendy” someday soon, if all goes according to plan).

So the last few years have been exciting in many ways, but in the midst of all of these changes, the amount of time I’ve spent taking care of myself and my fitness has really taken a hit. This is something that was made very clear to me while I was snuggling with my son who cheerfully noted that he likes to lay on me because I’m “soft, like a pillow!”

Gee, thanks son.

The thing is that he isn’t wrong. I’m pretty, well, squishy these days. I don’t think I could run a mile if I had to and I sure as heck couldn’t do a triathlon. While the fact that I’m basically starting at zero in terms of my fitness level is a bit discouraging, I’ve decided that now that life seems to be settling down a bit I’m long overdue to start spending some time taking care of myself.

It can be hard to make self-care a priority in the midst of all the demands of motherhood, but I’m also focusing on the fact that I want my kids to see me taking care of myself and growing up seeing that exercise and fitness are important.

So, I’m starting tonight by putting some air in the tires of the jogging stroller, loading up the baby and starting the journey back to being less pillow-like with some small steps.

As a mom, do you find it hard to make time for yourself?

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

When I had my first baby, I lost the weight quickly. When I had my second baby, I did not. It was a rough pregnancy and a rough phase with my newborn. One day I looked in the mirror and was stunned by what was looking back. I always found a way to make time for working out but I can understand how it can be hard for others. I have a very supportive husband who wanted me to feel the best I could be and I also think he didn't like me complaining about my weight...LOL. The better I feel about myself, the better I can at being a mom!

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM
I go to the gym 5 days a week. It's really the only time I get JUST for me. I love it. For so many reasons.
Leelee1008
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Grocery shopping LOL.. Thats pretty much my means of ALONE time

ceciliam
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't find it so hard to get me time. Just trying to figure out what I want to do with it is the hard part. :)

delanna6two
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Always, sometimes I just sigh...lol...

aneela
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM

lol even that is no longer safe for me...now they all wanna go....

Quoting Leelee1008:

Grocery shopping LOL.. Thats pretty much my means of ALONE time

Apr1l
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Of course, I think a sensible diet is the way to go since we don't always gwt time to work out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I always made time for myself, but unfortunately, it did not mean taking proper care of myself. It involved more cartons of ice cream at 2 am when the baby just would not sleep, or taking time to finish off the last of the dessert so I could was the plate. Now I'm surely paying for it!

jessicasmom1
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I don't find it hard for time but .. no enegry like prior to having her .. after c-section I basically lost the baby fat but still nothing like I was...

goddess99
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:11 PM

No, I have one dd who will be 12 next month. I have alot of time to myself and kind of always have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN