Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

Small Steps and Office Squats

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am sitting down right now. I was sitting down earlier this afternoon and this morning too. I sit down A LOT.

Between my administrative job and my status as a grad student and the fact that my favorite hobby is reading, I spend most of my waking hours in a chair of some sort. When I first got my Fitbit earlier this year I thought I was probably already doing the recommend 10,000 steps a day. I strapped it on for the first day and went to work, confident that I’d be at 10,000 by noon, at the latest.

Yeah. Not so much.

First day? 2,178. Yikes.

So, one of the things I’ve been working on lately is figuring out how to incorporate some more movement into my day at work. Here are some of my tricks that have helped me increase my daily step count from 4,500 to over 7,000 (the goal is still 10,000, I’m getting closer):

-          Identifying the farthest bathroom in the building and only using that one.

-          Every time I get up from my chair, I have to do 10 squats before I sit back down.

-          Leaving a pair of tennis shoes at my desk so I can take a five minute walk before lunch.

-          Setting my printer settings so when I print it goes to the printer on the other side of the office

-          Standing when I talk on the phone and doing calf raises until I worry that I’m going to sound like an obscene phone call on the other end of the line

-          Whenever I get a meeting request I have to do ten lunges. This is helping my health, but maybe not improving my attitude about meetings.

So far I’ve only been caught squatting in my office once so I’m going to call it a win.

Do you have any small things you do to get some more fitness in your day?

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angela4boys
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Those are great tips! I always get up and do some sort of housework at commercial breaks when I watch TV.
Janet
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Your doing great! Keep up the good work.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM

way to go
I park at the end of the lot when I shop.

othermom
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Yes I do

goddess99
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I should but I don't.

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I work out daily and take walks too

johnny4ever
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Walk around house while on the phone

RobynS
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I need to add something at home because my workout routine has taken a hit lately. We're so busy this summer and everything on our schedule seems to collide with the classes at the gym. :/

Leelee1008
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM

running around cleaning?? I am up and down quite often.

countrygirlkat
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are all great ideas!  When school was in session I would try to walk to and from school to get the kids each day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement