Welcome to the Club

Getting New Moms Adjusted to Mommyhood One Step at a Time

Group Home

The TV Plan

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this

One of the biggest challenges in terms of working out when you have a new baby is figuring out how to do it with the baby or at the gym. I never really got the hang of jogging with a stroller (I like to use my arms so I sort of ended up pushing the stroller with my belly...which worked exactly as well as you'd think it would) and my daughter had such bad stranger anxiety when she was a baby that leaving her at the child care center at the gym was not a viable option (nothing like being called out of the pool after 15 minutes to go, dripping wet, to retrieve a hysterical baby. Good times. Good times).

So, at home it was. I have my fair share of exercise videos but sometimes I'd get bored trying to lunge around the living room while Jillian yells at me which led to the creation of my own workout program: the TV plan.

The TV plan is a great option for catching up on your favorite shows while your baby is sleeping and getting a workout in at the same time. The first step is choosing the show you want to watch; let's use Downton Abbey as an example. Before the show begins, I would assign certain exercises to certain characters. Lady Mary= 20 squats, Edith= 10 push-ups, Carson= 15 jumping jacks, Daisy= 25 crunches, and so on. I would also assign certain types of scenes moves, so any scenes with people eating= march in place during the whole scene or any scene with someone getting dressed= jogging in place or doing jumping jacks.

Since I'd choose the moves before the show started, I never knew exactly what workout I would end up doing and so I knew I wouldn't be bored. Sometimes I'd doing A LOT of squats (helpful hint: Lady Mary is in many, many scenes, so chose her exercise carefully) but I'd always end up feeling like I got a solid workout in and never had to leave the house!

Would the TV plan work for you? What are your best at home workouts?

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I think its a great idea. I started walking and doing leg lifts and sit ups so I would do this

johnny4ever
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I like to relax watching tv.I walk & exercise daily.

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Neat idea. when out teadmill was working I would walk on it while watching tv. Haven't had a chance for my husband to try to fix it again

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I like to exercise to music, makes me happy

goddess99
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I used to do Tae-bo at home, loved that. I've done the 30 day squat challenge at home too. Idk if I could to the tv plan, I would get into the show and forget about working out.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I should try this, because I am ready to start getting healthier.

MistressMinerva
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I want to relax when I'm watching tv.

jessicasmom1
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I relax if I watch tv

othermom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I do get up and do stuff during commercials or do little work outs at different times of the day

louannwilkins
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I think if it works for you then it's a great thing!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement